how reliable is greatschools.org rating about schools?

Asked by Rama, Atlanta, GA Sat Dec 17, 2011

How reliable is greatschools.org. I see some of the schools in great neighborhood has 7 or 8 ratings. i don't understand it

Answers

13
A Falcon, Home Buyer, Boston, MA
Fri Apr 29, 2016
this post is dated but in case anyone searches like I just did -
I thought it was a good site but I started to wonder about its legitimacy when my children's last school strategically posted positive reviews to boost the school's rating.
I decided to check a review I posted at our previous school, from 5 years ago - it was still listed as "pending" - so it never went live to the site. It was an unfavorable review, btw.
So a few days ago I contacted greatschools.org, maybe there was some problem they weren't aware of that prevented my review from posting. Still no response...
#nocomment
my best recommendation - check out your school of interest on greatschools.org, though only allow it minimal influence over you; perhaps it can be a guide, or a jump-off point, for your own research.
good luck, parents!
yes, I agree with what your saying... While they did allow for me to post my rather negative review at GreatSchools.org. They completely edited out my key but firm and polite argument against the school! That's just NOT right, that they should get to choose to FAIL to post negative reviews or eliminate some of the key details of those reviews. If the negative review is in the form of constructive criticism in particular, it helps the person's reading it to decide if the school is worth it for them. Just as a school with many positive but Honest reviews does, too help them with the decision making process. But, when company's tamper with reviews, that honesty NO longer exists! As it is it's often difficult to gage schools ahead of time, because everyone from real estate agents-(wanting a sale) to neighbors- (that rate schools differently based on how easy or difficult their child's learning style is to teach to) are all often times unreliable sources of information.
Flag Sat Apr 1, 2017
Maryhansen20…, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Thu Jun 29, 2017
The rating correlates directly with government funding of the public schools. Notice the private schools (zero public funding) have no ratings? Evidence speaks the truth.
Right Maryhansen, you said it "Government funded schools" that would explain the incorrect ratings:
Flag Mon Jul 3, 2017
Souaddreyfus, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Wed May 31, 2017
This website is not credible at all... it is only available to you should you have a POSITIVE review..i shared my horrible experience with Pinnacle Academy in Bradenton on their website and they refused to post it because it was a one start review..i was polite and kept it to the fact and they still wouldn't post it. They are NOT honest nor transparent and are only there to serve the schools because of their financial arrangements with them..
Also is there another way to get ratings for schools?
Flag Tue Aug 1, 2017
Does that go both ways though? I'm moving to a new city and literally none of the schools in that district have high ratings. Two of the schools have 5 out of 10 and the rest have a rating of 2. How is it possible that an entire district is failing our children? I'm so nervous and confused.
Flag Tue Aug 1, 2017
Youngimai, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Sat May 27, 2017
Not so reliable.
Kindergarten boy learns sign language.
2ndo grade girl doing business plans.
Check it!
I'm not in Tampa.
I'm in woodland hills CA.
For ivy academia entrepreneural
Flag Sat May 27, 2017
Tom Priester, Agent, Tequesta, FL
Sun Dec 18, 2011
Rama,

I love their site, use it often and highly recommend it to my clients who are interested in finding the best schools for their children's education. GreatSchools profiles public, private and charter schools and has a great format for readers to leave comments. Besides their rating system the comment section is the best place to go to get real life feedback from children who attend the schools as well as their parents.

After doing your homework on-line I always recommend parents visit the school live and in person prior to making any purchasing decisions in that district. I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference:  http://www.tompriester.com
Tkohlbaldwin, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Mon Jul 3, 2017
I agree, you cant go off of GreatSchool.org It's 100% in correct, most reviews on Greatschool.org are not in line the school rating: Perfect Example:

Couch Middle School, Grayson Ga., This school is rated a 10 and is more of a 5 at best: the school is horrible, the Principal allows his educators to run the school under the grown, you have educators making students lie on other students!

Not a safe Place for your students: Parents do a little bit more research before moving to any area, and "do not depend" on GS.org. The unethical educators need to be FIRED: RED FLAG, when an educators Bio is coming soon, "You know they are hiding something" This is a perfect example of a school that the state should take over! Worst school.com is more like it..
Re-take Re-take Re-take
10!! cheating test scores.com
It's hard to take a review on an education provider seriously when you say something is "run under the grown."
Flag Fri Jul 28, 2017
Maryhansen20…, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Thu Jun 29, 2017
Greatschools.org is funded by school districts and the state government, so it is totally unreliable. Funding is based on assessment scores (have you seen the pathetic, dumb-downed assessments which have zero correlation with student success?) Class size indicated is inaccurate (takes into acct. the aides, which are in many rooms during one day). The only reliable indicators are class size (more than 20 stuffed in like cattle?), teacher burn-out factor, and level of 1:1 student assistance offered. You only see higher ratings for the public schools, and no ratings for private (non state funded) schools....see the correlation? State gov't funding=ratings on greatschools.org. Totally inaccurate and unreliable.
Borrerolinda, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Mon Jun 19, 2017
If anonymity is not considered a lot of information necessary will be left out.
Borrerolinda, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Mon Jun 19, 2017
I believe that a schools ratings change yearly. My childs school ratings are old and need to be updated. When a school has a downward pitch it doesn't help to rely on post that are years old.
Concerned pa…, Home Owner, Tampa, FL
Fri Jan 9, 2015
I don't love it as I feel it is a forum for those that have the need to "blow off steam" when they feel they have been wronged. You never see the complete picture as those who post more often are complaining about some injustice at their school. Were they ticked off because their child got in trouble, and the school actually did something about it? Where they ticked off because their child's teacher wouldn't accept their homework after being given several chances to turn it in? When parents have a concern, go to the school and discuss it like adults rather than posting an unflattering inaccurate depiction with only half truths. If you want to know about a school, visit the school for yourself, talk to staff and administration, and make your own decision based on what you see not from a review of someone who has a bone to pick with the school.
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Wed Oct 10, 2012
I would go directly to the source at Hillsborough County and the state level. You will find actual test results and the percentage of students on free or reduced lunches.

Also don't forget to include Charter Schools and Magnet Schools. Especially at the middle and high school level. The International Baccalaureate Program is considered to be the best and well above many of the high priced private schools in Tampa Bay.

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, PA
Future Home Realty
813.244.9898
Mark.simon20…, Both Buyer And Seller, Lakeland, FL
Wed Oct 10, 2012
The school rating information, based on the school's test scores compared to it's district scores as a whole, is made available to us to update every two years. You may want to check the school district's own website for more detailed information regarding a particular school.

The US Census provides school district boundaries, which we use to specify which district a property belongs to (as shown at the top of the Home Detail page).

Mark

http://www.schoolanduniversity.com
http://www.facebook.com/UniversityAndSchool
http://www.twitter.com/FreeEduAid
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sun Dec 18, 2011
Hi Rama,

I'm not familiar with greatschools. I recommend going straight to the source to find testing scores, percentage of students on free or reduced lunches and other demographics.

You can find everything here and have a 15 year old daughter and we also have great Magnet schools, i.e. International Baccalaureate (IB) and it's highly competitive to get accepted but will deliver a free education that is probably better than the majority of private High Schools in Tampa Bay.

As far as elementary schools, Westchase Elementary is probably one of the very best. The Westchase Middle School follows behind Farnell and other middle schools, however. Alonso High (assigned to Westchase) is above average but probably not as good as Plant High.

You can search FCAT test results here:

http://fcat.fldoe.org/fcatscor.asp

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, PA
Future Home Realty
Westchase
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
813.244.9898
I will not rate great schools as an accurate website--twice when I posted my review of the elementary school (gator run, because the teacher was so unprofessional) in my former neighborhood, they refused to post for explained reason--they don't believe in posting the truth--only popular opinion. So if in the community you live in, the schools i reviewed to be"good" on this website, you might have to sing the same song/ tune--;). If not, your review will not be posted. Do not believe everything you read here. I also recommend like other reviewers here going straight to the school and finding out.
Flag Sat May 31, 2014