how much is the risk of school boundary changes in Montgomery county?

Asked by jmb, Gaithersburg, MD Sun Nov 4, 2007

If I am buying a house primarily for its school district, and the house happens to be on the edge of the school's feeder area, how real is the risk for the house getting assigned to another school?
MS
Gaithersburg, MD

Answers

4
Gary J. Rudd…, Agent, Gaithersburg, MD
Sun Nov 4, 2007
Dear M.S.:

The risk of school boundary change is always a possibility. I must assume that you have already contacted MCPS and have learned as much as you possibly could about the boundaries. If not, that should be your first phone call! I am personally familiar with many of the changes that have taken place in the Rockville, Potomac, North Potomac, Gaithersburg as I have been a Realtor in this area for the past 22 years. There is a lot of speculation at this point in time. I don't think you will see any drastic boundary changes until they move forward on the future New High School near Rio in Gaithersburg.

Bottom LIne - School Boundaries can Change. If you want to discuss, just give me a call or email!

Gary J. Rudden, Broker/Owner
Congressional Residential Realty
Web Reference:  http://www.crrealty.net
jmb, Home Buyer, Gaithersburg, MD
Mon Nov 5, 2007
Thanks a lot everyone -- I will do my homework before making a decision. We are still in the very early stages of our search.
MS
Bill R Wootan, Agent, Waldorf, MD
Sun Nov 4, 2007
All sounties strive to balance the population at all the schools, and do so by changing boundries on a regular basis - go to the school board, and ask to see the map - if you are on the edge of the area, you are very liable to get changed from one school to another. In our county, they went in front on one elementary and middle school and bussed the kids to schools several miles away!
Do not accept what an agent assures you on the school you will attend, go directly to the school board.

Bill Wootan
Web Reference:  http://www.bill.wootan.com
Ann Marie Cl…, Agent, Gaithersburg, MD
Sun Nov 4, 2007
School boundaries do change. Do your homework and speak to the county office before you make any decisions. I will take my Real Estate hat off and put on my mom hat...talk to the neighbors you will probably learn alot from them. I would be happy to do a little investigating for you. Please feel free to call me at 240-997-8654 or e-mail me at AnnMarieClements@Gmail.com
Ann Marie Clements