can i move kids to another school district next school? twin river district to san juan? For next school year. sacramento,ca.

Asked by Bree, Sacramento, CA Tue May 1, 2012

unhappy with the students at my daughters school,harassment, threats, ect.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Nobodyspecial, , Sacramento, CA
Thu May 3, 2012
I tried before to transfer my daughter out of twin rivers district. I had to meet with the vice principal at Highlands HS where she would have to have been enrolled. I went in there with the position to state that they did not offer programs I wanted for my daughter. We got onto every topic imaginable. I thought it would be a quick meeting, but turned out to be more like an hour and half argument. Back and forth. He saw my valid points and concerns with safety at the schools in Twin Rivers district, etc. but didn't convince me at all that she would be okay there. In fact, his demeanor convinced me even more that I would not have my child attend that school. The district ended up denying my request to transfer out to San Juan district. We used her dad's address to get her into the district until I could move. So happy I did. After meeting with the VP, I absolutely KNEW that I did not want my child to be a part of that school environment or administration. Good luck getting out! I'd suggest you move if you have to! I do know that San Juan will require you to get "released" from your home district before they will accept you. Twin Rivers doesn't want students to leave because the lower enrollment affects their funding.
0 votes
Michael Smith…, , Roseville, CA
Wed May 2, 2012
I agree if you move middle of the year and have a valid address within the district, you should be fine!
0 votes
Teri Andrews…, Agent, Auburn, CA
Wed May 2, 2012
You need to talk to both school districts and see if they will approve a transfer between districts. Some districts are more flexible than others Start talking to them soon to find out the deadlines and procedures.
0 votes
Gina Borges-…, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Wed May 2, 2012
The best way to find out is to call the school district directly. They are very helpful and work with families in your situation daily. You will want to ask about open enrollment if you are considering moving districts.
0 votes
Nancy Bergman, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue May 1, 2012
I know that the San Juan School District has an open policy. Meaning if there is room in the school of your choice then you are able to move your kids to that school. BTW, the district doesn't offer bus service if you plan to do this.
Like Sue said, I don't believe that there is a policy if you live in one district and wishing to put your kids in another school district.
I have seen in some cases, if a child lives with one parent living in the district (divorce, separated, etc parents) that child can go to that neighboring school. I have also heard of children going to a neighboring non-district school due to a program that an another district doesn't offer. EI - special needs children. I would strongly recommend contacting the district you live in and research the school.
If all else, you may want to move. Sorry!

Nancy S Bergman
Realtor - LSSC
DRE # 01893550
Lyon RE Downtown
2801 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95816
Primary: 916-400-1355
0 votes
Sue Archer R…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue May 1, 2012
Most school districts allow movement WITHIN their district provided the school is not impacted and has room. There is no such policy between school districts that I know of.

I am aware of some parents establishing residency in another school district, either by showing the child lives with relatives or whatever, but that's stretching the truth. Your answer lies with contacting the school district themselves but I think you'll find that you need to live within that district in order to attend one of their schools. They are funded that way from taxpayer dollars. You might need to consider moving. Sorry.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more