With all the internet marketing options, why should we hire an agent to sell our home, 7percent of 300000 seems crazy?

Asked by UNIFRAMEWI, Des Moines, IA Thu May 23, 2013

Answers

4
Jon Niemeyer, Agent, Norwalk, IA
Thu May 23, 2013
That's a great question. If putting information about your house on the internet was all it took to have a successful sale in the end, it would be crazy. Real estate agents do so much more than that, though. Just one service a real estate agent provides is negotiating.

In today’s market, hiring a talented negotiator could save you thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of dollars. Each step of the way – from the original offer, to the possible re-negotiation of that off after a home inspection, to the possible cancellation of the deal based on a troubled appraisal – you need someone who can keep the deal together until it closes.

Here are just some of the people your agent will potentially negotiate with on your behalf; the buyer, the buyer's agent, the buyer's attorney, the home inspection company, the termite company, the buyers lender, the appraiser, the city, your bank, and then this list could double if your buyer has a buyer. A good real estate agent not only has the skills and experience necessary to negotiate with all these people, they can and will spend hours doing so. Most people don't have the skill, experience or time it takes to keep something so complex as a real estate transaction together to the very end.

Negotiating is just one of the many services provided by a real estate agent and just like a good accountant or a good attorney, a good real estate agent will save you money, not cost you money.
I have rented our home in Greenwood Park for the last 22 years, I know a good renter from a dud....A buyer, like renters will either accept my price or won't...when we find someone who wants this home (and one acre sq lot) ....shadowed by a $900,00 home on the left and a $580,000 home to the right we will sell it to them .... This is a dream property for the right buyer ....put a couple hundred thousand into it and you have the best house on the best lot or just live in it as it is. As far as negotiating is concerned, My wife and I enjoy the back and forth, giving us the opportunity to tell them to sit on the 320 sq ft slate porch and imagine the privacy they will enjoy or sit in the Pella sunroom and play the Grand Piano while watching the kids play in one of the two backyards.....Let me ask you ..... have you sold homes using the 1031 exchange program and do you have a qualified intermediary? We have not ruled out selling our home with help. The tenants lease is up for renewal on
Flag Thu May 23, 2013
Pat, , Ames, IA
Sat May 25, 2013
You don't need to pay 7% to sell your home. If you sold for $300,000, that means you are paying $21,000 to an agent. Why? Call your lawyer and ask him/her if he handles property transactions. Do what I did, we put a sign out front - For Sale by Owner - call for showing. You can use an Internet outfit to help sell it as well. If somebody comes along who is interested, you have several options. Your lawyer or the Internet outfit can provide you with offer forms. It is easy.

When real estate agents are involved, they have an interest in getting your house sold as quickly as possible. Earning a commission as soon as possible means great savings in advertising your home.

Le Ann Dunne, Agent, Iowa City, IA
Thu May 23, 2013
Jon and Jenny have given a great explanation as to why you would want to use a realtor. It is not all about the commission. It is about using a trained expert in their field. I echo their thoughts. Be sure to interview two or three individuals before hiring them. There are many good realtors out there-- you want the BEST!
Jenny Moats, Agent, West Des Moines, IA
Thu May 23, 2013
Call me and I will tell you why you can afford a realtor and what I can do for you. About 90% of For Sale by Owners end up using a a realtor anyway. I can show you some figures of why it will cost more to sell on your own. Also the average time it takes for a for sale by owner to sell is over 300 days. Realtors are averaging just over 100 days, and Keller Williams agents are doing even better than that . We have cutting edge technology and your listing ends up on over 350 search engines!! Can you market that way, negotiate, get through legal papers, and make sure a buyers financing is good! Sounds easier and more efficient to hire a realtor!
I have rented our home in Greenwood Park for the last 22 years, I know a good renter from a dud....A buyer, like renters will either accept my price or won't...when we find someone who wants this home (and one acre sq lot) ....shadowed by a $900,00 home on the left and a $580,000 home to the right we will sell it to them .... This is a dream property for the right buyer ....put a couple hundred thousand into it and you have the best house on the best lot or just live in it as it is. As far as negotiating is concerned, My wife and I enjoy the back and forth, giving us the opportunity to tell them to sit on the 320 sq ft slate porch and imagine the privacy they will enjoy or sit in the Pella sunroom and play the Grand Piano while watching the kids play in one of the two backyards..Let me ask you . have you sold homes using the 1031 exchange program and do you have a qualified intermediary? We have not ruled out selling our home with help. Should we seek out a So of Grand Specialist?
Flag Thu May 23, 2013