Which School has the best Autism Program for Children

Asked by Sue, Flemington, NJ Thu Jun 12, 2008

My son is going to be three in August. We live in Flemington. I would like to know which school has the best Autism program, teachers

Answers

5
J9045, , 08551
Thu Oct 22, 2009
Copper Hill and RFIS (the 5-6 school) are good. But if your son has high-functioning autism or Asperger's, beware of the 7-8 school. There is a huge drop in support and staff for the HFA kids there, and this at an age (middle school) where they really need the help.
Vicki, Home Buyer, Whitehouse Station, NJ
Thu Jun 26, 2008
Living in Flemington, your son would be eligible to go to a preschool disabled program. not sure which school it is in. When he is kindergarten age and up I believe Copper Hill has quite a few autistic classes. I have heard good things. Though you may be tempted to go private, least restrictive is best, so try the public school first. let him get to know his nieighbors and peers. hope that helps!
Angela , Agent, Williamstown, NJ
Tue Jun 17, 2008
Hi Sue,

I am not real familar with the school, but living in Gloucester County, I have heard alot about the new school that just opened for children with autism here. It is a school for children ages 3-21 years.

Here is the website:

http://www.gcsssd.org/

Here is what the website says:

Bankbridge Development Center Opens September 2007! (6/5/2007)

The Bankbridge Development Center is a state-of-the-art facility for multiply disabled students built to meet the needs of students classified within the autism spectrum.

The Bankbridge Development Center is a state-of-the-art facility for multiply disabled students, age 3 to 21 years. Built to meet the needs of students classified within the autism spectrum, the building is located on the Gloucester County Education Campus in Deptford.

The Center is the hub for a full continium of services to meet the needs of spedical education students in Gloucester County including an Education facility for Autistic students, Autism Services, Early Intervention Services, Regional Council Services, an Education Resource Center, and a Family Resource Center.

For more information about bankbridge Developmental Center, please call (856) 415-7755, Extension 3000.

Hope that helps and if I can help you in any other way, please let me know! Best of luck to you!

Take care!

Angela "Angie" Allchin
Century 21 Rauh & Johns
Email: Angela.Allchin@Century21.com
856-582-0366 x 172
Kenneth Verb…, Agent, PRINCETON, NJ
Thu Jun 12, 2008
I had a client from Seattle who researched this last year and found the Princeton school district had a very well respected program. I would expect there are many web sources. The Eden institute is here as well, perhaps they can advise.
Barbara Ostr…, Agent, Closter, NJ
Thu Jun 12, 2008
You should contact the Special Ed Director in your local school district, and also talk to the county officials, they will have recommendations for you. Once your child is 3 years old, you are entitled to an IEP (Individual Education Plan) through the school district, and they will meet with you to determine proper placement for your son. Be his advocate, there are many programs and choices nowadays. Work with the IEP team and ask questions of other special needs parents as you learn...