What organization supervises COVA, a charter school in Oakland?

Asked by Zen-c, Oakland, CA Mon Nov 1, 2010

Some investigation must be done at COVA, a charter school in Oakland regarding the way they handle child's behavior. Does anyone know of any law or measures that would protect a special need 5 year old from sitting on a chair in an isolated room, facing the wall for about 5 hours several times since school started?

Answers

3
Jessica DeL…, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Mon Nov 1, 2010
You may also want to consult with the Regional Center of the East Bay http://www.rceb.org They do case management for children and adults with developmental disabilities and may have some resources or contacts. This sounds like a serious problem. I wish you the best of luck in reaching out to the powers that be within the school and beyond to effect positive change for this and every child at the school.
Bill & Elijah…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Mon Nov 1, 2010
Dear Zen-C,
The Best place to go, in my opinion, would be an advocacy group for special needs children. I am not familiar with COVA but the behavior you describe appears to be excessive and should be investigated. There used to be a group called CASE which I believe stands for Community Advocacy for Special Education. They probably still exist. they were located in San Francisco. I'd start with a group like them. You might do a search on google to see what other groups exist. They could certainly point you in the right direction a lot better than a realtor like myself. Good luck.
Bay Property…, Other Pro, Oakland, CA
Tue May 28, 2013
I agree, the way they handle children's behavior is excessive and very "old school". I amcurrently trying to find out who is over this school.