Schools in Philadelphia>Question Details

Lynn, Renter in Philadelphia, PA

What is a good Philly suburb that is family friendly and has: 1) short commute 2) good schools 3) affordable housing?

Asked by Lynn, Philadelphia, PA Wed Apr 18, 2012

1) commute: would love to be 15-20 minutes outside of Philly (no more than 30). we'd like somewhere that gave both the option to drive and the option to use public transportation. re: driving, I also need to learn about the worst traffic areas and avoid them
2) schools: we have two young children who are approaching school age. this move is permanent, so I want to make sure we're in a school district with great options for K-12.
3) affordability: we're going to start by renting (really in a time crunch) and then hopefully buy. I know people say buy now, but this was a "move or you won't have a job" type of move so buying will hopefully be an option later but isn't now. Regardless, we're looking for decent options for apartments and houses. I really want a yard, even a small one!
4) community feel: I'd love a community with a family feel, nice outdoor options, but also coffee shops! bookstores, movie theaters, restaurants....

Any ideas? Thank you!

Answers

7
I think Jenkintown, Abington, or Cheltenham could possibly help you with all your needs. Let me know if you would like more information.
Lynn:

What a great question! I raised two kids, middle school & high school, in the Lower Merion School District just outside of the city and it was a wonderful experience all around.

We had a home in Narberth, (zip is 19072) where rentals do not abound but most certainly do exist. It has a small town feel, on the regional rail you can be in the city in 15 -20 minutes, and it is super family friendly. Great town center. Off the beaten path, yards, gardens, theater, sewing shop, parks, library, kids sports, kids bookstore, great little houses and some apartments too. Near lots of great "bigger" stuff but perfectly tucked away.

Education was a driver for me as a mom, and I was really looking for a community that was a bit more diverse for our family, but being super close to the city was a must.

Additional options in the same strong school district are Ardmore, and Penn Wynne - which is so lovely and can be very affordable as well. Penn Wynne has a wonderful atmosphere for kids and is less town like but has awesome community.

Please take a few hours on a Saturday afternoon and walk the areas and get a feel for them.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact me at anabarlow@gmail.com

I am happy to answer your questions as a former resident, mom, or realtor. Ask away.

Enjoy the journey and email if you need ideas or have questions.

Ana Barlow Coldwell Banker Preferred
anabarlow@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.anabarlow.com
Hello Lynn, I attached my research page on HomeCatch.com.

I hope it will answer some of your questions. We've been serving the Phila Bucks Area for over 17 years.
Please click the attached web Reference.

Feel free to give us a call for a confidential talk?

All the Best John + Sheri Curci - 215-757-2889
Lynn,

Prepared to be bombarded with answers!

I would be more than happy to discuss with you our local market here in Philadelphia while also recommending you to a quality agent who can best assist you. Though I am licensed, I am a bit tied up at this point in time.

If you ever want to talk "Philly" - where to go, what to see, who to meet, just shoot me an email, call or text; my phone is on me at all times.

I wish you the best of luck!

Tyler J. Morrison
Real Estate. Swimming Pools. Investments.
24/7: (484) 533-7111
tmorrison@tylerjmorrison.com

Gunite Specialists, Inc.
GSI Pool Finishes, Inc.
US Spaces, Inc.
Web Reference: http://tylerjmorrison.com
Lynn,

These are all such important concerns. Good for you for asking!

There are numerous options in Montgomery and Delaware Counties that fit your description. "The City" is really big, so it depends on whether being west or south would be more convenient. I'd need to know the destination, but public transportation is easier than driving if Center City is your daily destination.

I am extremely familiar with a variety of options that fit your description. If you'd like to chat, email with some details about the price range, square footage, style etc. that you have in mind. I'll pull some thoughtful suggestions for you right away.

Hannah Angert, Realtor
hannahangert@comcast.net or (215) 869-9571

William Festa Realty
3001 S. Sydenham St.
Philadelphia PA 19145
(215) 271-3000 phone
(215) 271-0988 fax
Call me at 2154212121 and i can discuss traffic patterns and commute times.I have lived in the phila area for all of my life and have been doing real estate full tme for the last 10 years

Michael Solomon
Realty Mark
2153764444 x 95 office
2154212121 cell
Hi Lynn,

Hope all is well with you this evening!

I'd be happy to discuss some of your questions with you, offline, regarding areas that may be of interest to you. We, as realtors, cannot get into school district steering, but I can provide you with some websites to do the proper research regarding that. To answer most of your questions, I need a little more detail about where you/spouse would be working, etc. and can make you aware of some areas to consider for your rental. Look forward to hearing from you.

Warmest Regards,

Kristoffer Lehman, ABR
Keller Williams Real Estate
Licensed in PA - #RS299648
Office # 215-646-2900
Cell # 267-254-4755
Fax: 800-686-7534 or 267-419-2974
Email: klehman@kw.com
Web: http://www.KrisLehmanHomes.com
FOCUS + INTENSITY = RESULTS
Referrals are the heart of my business.

A personal referral is the best compliment you can give me. Have friends or family outside PA? I can find them a great agent. Thank you!

Each office is independently owned and operated.