Schools in Putnam County>Question Details

Mt, Home Buyer in

We may be relocating. Where are some good, affordable areas with good schools in Putnam County, New York?

Asked by Mt, Fri Jul 20, 2007

We may be moving up to New York state working in White Plains. Can anyone recommend some good towns to live in with small children and affordable housing? Any information on the area would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

9
Have you thought about Brewster. The location is ideal for a NY City commute by train and offers a great suburb location close to interstates 84 and 684. I live in Brewster and commuted to White Plains. The increased speed limit on 684 (currently 65 mph) moves traffic well in the rush hour. Just make sure to hit the road at the right time.
I currently have a house available in Brewster. What price range are you looking to buy in?
Web Reference: http://www.AJP-HVRealty.com
There is a web site that ranks all NY high schools. Currently in Putnam County you have
Haldane #47
Brewster #103
Carmel #193
Mahopac #270
Putnam Valley #327
I believe these results are based on the high school regents exams for math and English. I don't have all the info, but for SAT scores last year I believe Brewster was slightly ahead of Carmel which was slightly ahead of Mahopac. Someones response mentioned taxes. On that front I think Brewster (Town of Southeast) probably has the lowest on the eastern side of the county.
Don
Web Reference: http://www.nyhomeseller.com
Dear Mt,
Mahopac and Carmel schools are award winning. Both are conveniently located to White Plains and are very family oriented with many neighborhoods with children. Your realtor can help you decide which is best for you. Affordable housing is certainly available depending on your needs and criteria for a home.
I would be happy to assist you with any of your needs or questions.
Please take a look at the attached link for a close look at the school reports. Good luck to you.
Ann Marie Kiernan
Licensed Realtor, Houlihan Lawrence
akiernan@houlihanlawrence.com
I live in Putnam Valley and I'm a Real Estate Agent with Houlihan Lawrence. You could always go to our website to check the school districts info. Putnam Valley is a lovely town with a very "small town" feeling. It has that country feel to it however we are so close to all of the main highways, trains, shopping etc. We are about 30 minutes to White Plains. I truly enjoy living here. If I can be of any help to you or if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to call on me. My cell 914 806-2933. Thanks and good luck with your search.
Barbara Sawin
I agree with Michael, Mahopac is your best bet for good schools, good living, and an easy commute
Hands down the most popular town in Putnam County that buyers are looking in because of the good school district would be Mahopac. Many of my clients live in Mahopac and commute to White Plains. Check out: MahopacProperties.com
I'm a realtor with Houlihan Lawrence in Cold Spring. There are some wonderful schools in the Garrison/Cold Spring area and I'm sure I could find you the perfect home in this area. Contact me and I can send you some information and listings for you to see before you get to town. Lots of young couples with children and plenty of activities to keep you and them busy. Kathleen Kourie 845-661-5101
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2007
The Brewster area has not only affordable homes, but reasonable taxes as well. There are some great areas in Connecticut that also offer nices houses. Each of these areas are at most 45 minutes to White Plains.
Cold Sping is a family friendly village on the Hudson River, with good schools. We have our house listed with Houlihan Lawrence in Cold spring. (845 265-5500) MLS# 2710570
It's close to schools and an easy commute to White Plains.