We are an English couple with a baby on the way.We escaped from the quiet Kansas and wanted to move here.Is it a safe place to raise a baby?

Asked by Erin James, New York, NY Sat Mar 31, 2012

Answers

16
Jerry Trudell, , New York, NY
Sun Apr 1, 2012
Everyone else has done a very good job of answering your primary question, as well as congratulating you, so I will add my congratulations without repeating anything needlessly.
That being said, In my opinion, the interesting thing, which can also be quite paradoxical, is that within the confines, boundaries, and city limits, of NYC one can find corners, some of which have already been mentioned, which resemble quiet Kansas much more than stereotypical New York City I live on one of these nooks, specifically Throgs Neck (google that), and smell the ocean breezes on a regular basis, that is when on the home end of things. To me, this is the classic best of both worlds, as my home life is quite tranquil, quiet and peaceful, yet I am within a 20 minute drive of Manhattan, or a 1 block walk to an express bus to "The City" as we outerboro types refer to Manhattan. The great thing is that the price of housing is also much closer to "Kansas" prices, with nice spacious detached homes going for half the price of a 500 sq foot box in " The City"
One can also find affordable rentals in many Brooklyn neighborhoods that are an easy commute to Manhattan, as well as rewarding in themselves, as up and coming neighborhoods. with a lively arts and cultural "scene"
However, purchasing a nice spacious detached home in Brooklyn is a bit more pricey than my neck of the woods.
Please feel free to contact me if you wish
Jerry Trudell
Rapid Realty
802-922-2145
2dealsok, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Sep 10, 2013
Annie, Home Seller, New York
Sun Apr 29, 2012
Of course it is ! i used to live in Kansas, i moved to NY for bussiness ! But i wish i could be in Kansas!! the most beautiful place to raise a child! i am a spanish speaker ! sorry if u dont understand anything
John Peitler, Agent, NY,
Mon Apr 2, 2012
We have many nice apartments or homes that you could choose from all over New York. . My name is Marinel. Please call me at 212-714-1027 ext 15 for assistance. Best of luck with the baby and with obtaining a new place to live! New York is a wonderful town and I hope you will enjoy it here!
Amy Rea, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Apr 2, 2012
Dear Erin,

LOL!! I am from the state of Kansas, and wonder where you were living, as a reference. If you feel you would like to chat, give me a call or email me directly. I also wonder what were your home/s in that country.

I know New York City quite well, and can help you find what works best for you by giving your introductions to each area that fits your needs in some way.

Meantime, as a parent of a grown child, I can vouche for the fact that New York has so very much to offer a child that the stimulation can indeed open the eye and intelligence of a child very quickly. There are a whole lot of wonderful parents here in the city raising children. New York has fine resources for parents.

Best wishes,
and Welcome to New York City.
Carrey Han, , New York, NY
Sun Apr 1, 2012
dear:
yes, absolutely you can.
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Erin,
It's not clear if you are referring to just the Upper East Side or Manhattan in general. When you say you've moved from "quiet Kansas" I would assume you were looking for more in terms of cultural enrichment and things to do. You certainly can't beat NYC for that, which would by extension mean your child would benefit from the fact that we are a cultural mecca. For your safety questions, the best thing to do is to check crime stats with the local police station of the areas you are considering, as we are not legally allowed to answer your question directly. I can tell you that I've raised my kids in NYC, and wouldn't do it anywhere else.

My best advice to you would be to work with a skilled, experienced agent who can guide you in your search, negotiate on your behalf, and take you through the steps of the buying process. Sellers all have agents and so should you. A buyer's agent is of no cost to you and we save you a great deal.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com for all NYC listings
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Hi, you can visit http://www.homefair.com or http://www.spotcrime for in-depth crime stats and area demographics. For in-depth school reports you can visit http://www.SchoolDigger.com...Hope this helps.

Chris
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Hello Erin. Some great responses below and I wanted too add a thought or two. As licensed Real Estate Professionals, We are not allowed to specifically say this neighborhood is great and this other neighborhood is not. This type of talk could be considered Discrimination and or steering (leading one on to a specific area) both or which are illegal. I will say Manhattan is fantastic. Absoultely no other place like it.

If you want Manhattan, you could start your search online based on your budget and then by neighborhood. You'll also need to go into various areas at different times of the day to see the ebb and flow of a neighborhood and if it may work for you. I would also check into the various schools. Since schools don't move, if you have a particular one in mind you might want to concentrate your search in proximity to the school.

I would also suggest that pricing in NYC is quite a bit different than in Kansas. A quick search of median prices for homes in Kansas show $160K and up as being on the high end of prices there. Here, everything is going to be much more expensive. You can't even buy a studio flat in Manhattan for $160K. The boroughs have a different flavor and prices are relatively reasonable (compared to Manhattan). You could do well and get more for your dollar in the boroughs. I certainly wish you all the best in your search.
Rosemarie De…, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Good afternoon Erin! I am English myself and moved to New York "temporarily" about twenty five years ago. I also was nervous about bringing two young children to New York City. However it turned out really well. The City is an exciting and safe place to live. It also has some of the very best schools, and both my daughter and my son received an excellent education and went to top colleges and grad schools. They also benefited from numerous visits to world class museums and cultural events, as well as exposure to the diversity of a big city. In fact they did not realise how priviliged they were until they went away to college and met students who had never even visited New York!
I am now a real estate agent in New York and have helped many "Brits" find the right homes here, from the Upper East Side to the West Side, to the Village and Downtown. Would love to help you find your ideal apartment. If you allow me to be your guide, I can show you the different neighborhoods and describe the benefits of each one. Look forward to hearing from you---and congrats about the new baby!
PS The doctors and hospitals here are terrific, too. You and your baby will be well looked after.
You can find me on my company's website.
Rosemarie Deane SVP
Halstead Property
212 381 3245
http://www.halstead.com
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Sat Mar 31, 2012
I'm English also, bought up three boys in Long Island, check in out, different flavors for different folks. :-)
John Maniec, Agent, Bayside, NY
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Live in northeast queens, nyc in the communities of bayside, douglaston or little neck. the best of nyc suburbia yet 30 minutes or less via lirr from manhattan. school district 26 the highest performing public schoold in all of nyc.
Tom Ripellino, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Well Erin, as Dorothy said, "We're not in Kansas anymore." However, statistically our crime rate these days is one of the lowest in the country. Gone are the bad old days of a tough New York. We have become quite gentrified in the last ten years or so.

In addition to relatively low crime we offer a culturally diverse and stimulating environment in NYC. What a great place for a kid to grow up! The entire world is at your doorstep here in Manhattan. In addition, we offer some of the best schools in the world. In addition, we have virtually unlimited extra curricular cultural and educational activities. Your child stands a good chance of growing up to be a regular smarty pants. He/she is very lucky.

All the best to you and your budding family. May your stay in New York exceed all of your expectations.

Tom Ripellino
President
Metropolis Real Estate of Manhattan
http://www.MetropolisApts.com
Bledar Aslla…, Agent, NY,
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Hello Erin, congratulations for the baby! That is very exiting!
New York is very safe these days, however there are always neighborhood preferences depending on your needs and expectations.

I would highly suggest to meet or at least talk a little bit about what you are looking for budget size etc.

I will be very happy to give advice and of course show you and help you find the right place!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Bledar Asllani
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
228 East 45 Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10017
646.588.3915 Office
848.565.8189 Cell
212.989.0550 eFax
Matt Soall, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Hi Erin,

Do you have an idea yet where in New York you are looking to move too?

There are some great neighborhoods in New York which are very safe to raise a baby. If you are planning on staying in New York for a while, there are also some great private schools.

Where in England are you from? I escaped the UK myself a while back!!

I would be more than happy to discuss some different options with you.

Matt Soall
Platinum Properties
917.744.4017
Robin Maffei, Agent, New York City, NY
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Crime has dropped significantly in NYC and continues to do so.
Below is a link where you can take a look at crime rates in specific neighborhoods.
Before you purchase, it would be important to spend some time and ride subways and go into supermarkets and Starbucks, etc. in different neighborhoods to decide on your own comfort level.

Robin Maffei, M.A.
Real Estate Salesperson, Realtor®
Professional Organizer
Fenwick Keats Real Estate
2244 Broadway
New York, NY 10024
B: 212 579-6973
C: 917 613-3176
F: 212 579-0671
rmaffei@FKRealEstate.com
http://www.FKRealEstate.com
//www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/crime_prevention/crime_statistics.shtml
My son who is now 21, was born and raised in Manhattan and he feels as though it is the best place to live in the world! Wouldn't trade it for anything. I am also a licensed real estate salesperson so I would love to help you in your home search.
Anne Buckley
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
DJK Residential
101 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Flag Mon Sep 9, 2013