THINKIN OF MOVIN TO MANDEVILLE FROM ALEXANDRIA LA. HAVE 5Y/O DAUGHTER. IS PRIVATE SCHOOL NECESSARY? WILL SHE FIT IN? HOW ARE PUBLIC SCHOOLS THERE?

Asked by EJHILL00, Mandeville, LA Sat Mar 15, 2014

Answers

8
Bethvoss66, Home Buyer, Mandeville, LA
Wed Oct 8, 2014
http://www.homefacts.com is a website that will give you great information. Unlike the website: "great schools", which assigns scores based on student/parent/teacher comments, homefacts uses test scores and other more objective criteria. It also tracks more demographics about the area, such as crime, educational levels, etc. While I think public perception is worth considering when looking at a school, I'd much rather know how the school performs compared to other schools/districts. You can compare specific schools using this website. I lived in Mandeville for nine years and found the public schools are outstanding, especially if your child is in gifted or honors classes. Regular education classes on the high school level were okay -- but a marked difference from the honors/gifted curriculum. My nieces and nephews went to private school in the area, and their education was not better than what the public schools offered. Don't be fooled about the comments regarding structure and behavior. Mandeville has a wealthy, spoiled population. My experience has been the more money the kids have access to, the bigger the trouble they get into. There is plenty of trouble to find if you want to find it, but some of the kids at the private schools can make the typical public school kids look like amateurs when it comes to finding trouble.
Rockdoctor1, Home Buyer, Mandeville, LA
Tue Nov 7, 2017
The public schools are the best in the state. Mandeville has great testing scores also. The private schools do NOT publish test scores, and the Teachers do not get the pay and benefits that Public Schools give.

Schools are generally a reflection of the population. Mandeville has high per capita income, a large percentage of College grads, and low crime.
Bmoore, Home Buyer,
Thu Sep 17, 2015
My son is in public school in Mandeville and always has been (he's 12). The school are very and people are very friendly.
Julie Tomlin…, Renter, Mandeville, LA
Fri Oct 10, 2014
Great public schools-I ended up outside of the Mandeville School district with a Jr High school age child. She attended Montleone Jr High - what a great school !!!! Lakeshore High School is top notch too. Very happy with the public school system and the neighborhoods along Hwy 1088, Quail Creek, Forest Brook, Woodlands plus others.
Scot Hughes, Agent, Mandeville, LA
Sun May 4, 2014
The public schools in Mandeville are considered excellent, the very best you will find anywhere, and most people who would normally send their children to private schools, consider that an unnecessary expense here. It will save you a lot of money if you move here. Just go to http://www.greatschools.org/search/search.page?search_type=0… and you will see most of them rate a 9 or 10 out of 10!

I would love to help you find a suitable new home here for your family. I live in nearby Covington. The entire Mandeville/Covington area is beautiful and a great place to live. When I assist home buyers, I search not only the Multiple Listing Service, but also the top For Sale By Owner web sites, to make sure I find the best possible fit for your family of all the available homes. And for buyers who qualify, I will also purchase a free home warranty. If the seller doesn't have to pay for it, your offer is all the more attractive! You can check out the complete details on our Kandu VIP program for home buyers on our web site.
Capechon, Home Buyer, Covington, LA
Fri Apr 11, 2014
My son attended public schools in Mandeville and had an excellent experience. I've had nieces and nephews also attend public schools there. I did move him for high school, but not because the schools were a problem, the problem was him!!
Rgcreech, Home Buyer, Covington, LA
Fri Apr 4, 2014
Mandeville's public schools are excellent. Both of my sons went through public school in Mandeville from K thru 12th and got a great education. They both went on to college. Mandeville parents are very active in their children's public education and the teachers are excellent. I would have to disagree with the previous reply. Poor choice of friends has nothing to do with the school system.
ignoranceisb…, , Mandeville, LA
Sat Mar 15, 2014
Private school isn't necessary at her age, but you may wish to send her to private school beginning in 7th or 8th grade. Private school provides a much better structure at this level and the risk of exposure to undesireable behavior is significantly decreased. My daughter transferred to private school for 8-12 and did very well. I allowed my son to remain in public Jr. High/High and have had numerous problems. His "friends" do not exhibit strong moral values. Please keep in mind that each child is different and my response is based on my experiences. There are MANY children who attend k-12 with no problems and the schools offer the opportunity for an excellent education. The outcome is dependent on the child and their ability to make good decisions, regardless of their surroundings. Both of my children began in kindergarten at 5. They didn't have problems being accepted and readily accepted friends who started in later grades. Several of their friends relocated to and from the area. No need to be concerned about her fitting in.