Relocating to Charlotte

Asked by Patricia, Charlotte, NC Thu Feb 7, 2013

We will be reclocation to Charlotte. My kids will be going to elementary, middle and high schools. I am looking for good neighbourhoods in Charlotte with the priority being 1. Schools 2. Growing neighbourhoods, in other words where the home value would grow. Thanks for your response.

Answers

19
Debra M. Buck, , Charlotte, NC
Mon Feb 11, 2013
Good morning, Patricia!

There is new construction in Ballantyne. Most of the Inventory sold when our market turned. Alot of the opportunities would be to be built homes.

I beleive Marvin and Weddington would be two good suggestions. Marvin is literally right off of Ballantyne so you are not to far out. You will probably get a little larger lot, more square footage and definitely lower taxes.

If you need futher help, please feel free to email me at debra@hmproperties.com. I work both of these Areas so I can make further suggestions.

Thanks!
Debbie

Debra M Buck
Realtor/BrokeHM Properties
704.421.2107 Cell
Patricia, Home Buyer, Charlotte, NC
Mon Feb 11, 2013
Thank you for the responses. They have been very helpful. Does Ballantyne area have any new construction coming up? In researching I havent come across any. What would you suggest as a second choice of location after Ballantyne, considering the two criteria I mentioned, schools and growth areas?
Tracy Clay, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Fri Feb 8, 2013
Hi Patricia,

The additional information does help us in giving recommendations. I too, would recommend looking into the south charlotte schools and maybe even up north in Huntersville. The price point that you have and square footage you'd like, you'll have to go a little further out of the center city to get both. The Ballantyne area might be a good place to start.

I can set you up on a program that will send you active listings daily that meets your criteria so you can see the type of homes that Charlotte has to offer. I do highly suggest that you come to Charlotte for a long weekend or more, and drive around town to get a feel for it. This will really help you narrow it down. Visit the schools as well and get a feel of what each can offer your children.

Let me know if I can be of further help. Best of luck with your new venture!

Tracy Clay
Wilkinson & Associates
704-968-0579
tracyclayhomes@gmail.com
Kathleen Tur…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Fri Feb 8, 2013
Hi Patricia - as you will working in Uptown Charlotte, you shoud concnetrate your search to South Charlotte. While Marvin & Weddington (in Union Co) have wonderful neighborhoods, your commute to Uptown could be 45 mins to an hour, depending on traffic. Also, should you need to "run over" to one of your children's schools, well, you would not be able to do that without another long commute. The close-in South Charlotte neighborhoods, generally, are the most expensive in Charlotte (location, location) and historically have the highest levels of appreciation (location, location). The close-in neighborhoods are well-established, so if you want newer construction, you will have to look further out, such as the Ballantyne area. You will find that you have many great choices and, I promise, you will LOVE living in Charlotte. Research the south Charlotte schools (High Schools would be Myers Park, Providence & Ardrey Kell - then you can drill down to the feeder middle & elementary schools). When you are in Charlotte next, plan a day to visit the schools. As a mother of 3, I can tell you that after your school visits, you will know what schools best fit your children's needs. Also, look into the magnet school programs. I have one child in IB (International Baccalaureate) and my other 2 went through the German Immersion program). All 3 have truly gotten "private school-quality" educations for free!

Kathleen Turner, ABR, CRS, ePro, Certified Paralegal
KathleenTurnerRealty@gmail.com
704-609-2688
Daniel Fisher, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Good afternoon, Patricia.
There is a Trulia blog "Which areas surrounding Charlotte would be a nice place to relocate?" that provides good information about schools (link below). Charlotte fared better than many major metropolitan areas in the US during the economic downturn and over the last 12 months, Charlotte area home values are up about 5% regionally in the last 12 months. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Debra M. Buck, , Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Patricia,

Thank you so much for some additional information. My first suggestion would be South Charlotte in Ballantyne/Blakeney. I have sold several Clients in this Area and they commented they liked the school system. You will be in the middle of plenty of shopping, restaurants, parks, medical offices and highway access. You will have a short commute to get to Uptown but we have a Light Rail and Park and Ride (Bus).

To research schools, a great website is: http://www.ncreportcards.org. If you need further assistance, I am here to help!

Debbie

Debra M. Buck
Realtor/Broker
HM Properties
704.421.2107 Cell
Debra@hmproperties.com
Ryann Marzouk, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
I can help you in the search for homes that fit that criteria. When will you be relocating? Please feel free to get in touch with me.

Marz@kw.com
704.605.9794
Patricia, Home Buyer, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Thank you for the responses. Just to provide additional details, we will be working downtown and are looking for homes 300-350K, atleast 3000 SFT in a neighbourhood where the home values are appreciating and in a good school district.
Tracy Clay, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Hello Patricia,

Congratulations on your decision to relocate to Charlotte! You will really enjoy it here. Charlotte and it's surrounding areas are very spread out offering you many choices. If schools are the number 1 priority, you need to research the schools and see which ones will serve your children best.

After you have decided on the schools, then you can start researching neighborhoods in the price point that fits your budget. Charlotte has many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from.

I've lived in Charlotte for over 35 years. I do know Charlotte well. If I can be of further assistance to you, please feel free to get in touch with me.

Best of Luck,

Tracy Clay
Wilkinson and Associates
704-968-0579
tracyclayhomes@gmail.com
Dennis Fessel, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Hello Patricia,

Several great sites for researching our school system have already been provided to you on previous comments. It is true, Realtors are not allowed to steer an individual to any particular neighborhood, therefore we have provided you with resources to do your own investigation.

You have not mentioned a price range or housing requirements, of which both will play a significant role in determining your Charlotte location.

Example: I am presently working with a couple who require a house with a basement and square footage between 4,000 - 4,500 sq. ft. total living area. They are prepared to spend up to $330,000.
This can be found in the Charlotte area, but only in certain parts of the city. They are also concerned with schools, but because of their requirements, they are limited to certain areas.

If you are flexible with your price or size of house, you can locate to most areas in Charlotte, but if not, you may be limited. Then again, price may not be an issue for you.

You can go to the link below to see a video about Charlotte, 101 things to do in Charlotte, and you can search for homes on that site.

Have a Smart Phone? Go to: dennisfessel.mycbcarolinas.com for my mobile app
Also, please hit the About Me button.....

http://charlottehousingnews.com
Erika Pitman, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Hi Patricia,

You are going to have many options with the 2 priorities that you have listed. I would first recommend picking out the schools that you would want your children to attend. In addition to greatschools.org there is also http://www.ncreportcards.org for picking out which schools would be best for you and your family. This will help you to zone in on the areas and then you can look at the different neighboorhoods within those areas. Like many people you will meet in the area I have also relocated to the area from California and NC has now been my home for over 12 years. I love it here and hope that you will too! If I can help you with your real estate needs please let me know.

Best Wishes,
Erika

Erika Pitman
704-576-1671
Shawn Knight, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Hi Patricia,

Congratulations on the move to Charlotte. Where are you coming from? Without knowing too much about what some of your specific criteria are, here's a link to a home that meets the first two you mentioned. http://fusion.carolinamls.com/DotNet/Pub/EmailView.aspx?r=13… (Sorry, you'll have to actually copy and paste it).

This home is in the Providence High School district, with South Charlotte Middle and Elizabeth Lane for the elementary school. This area has been very stable over the last couple years, as it did not see the dramatic loss in value like some areas. There has been a 4% increase in median sales price since February 2011, which outpaces both Mecklenburg County and Charlotte for the same time period.

If you'd like to know more about this house or others like it, feel free to contact me. Good luck on your search!

Shawn T. Knight
Helen Adams Realty
sknight@helenadamsrealty.com
704-231-5525
Jon Widdifie…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
First check greatschools.org. Second let me send you a charlotte relocation package that tells you all about the city. Just email me your mailing address. Third start looking for homes on my site. My email address is charlottehomepro@gmail.com
Web Reference:  http://Www.jonnyagent.com
Ryann Marzouk, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Hello Patricia,

Having lived in Charlotte for over 20 years now I can say its a great city to live in and is continuously growing. I would love to help you with your home search. Send me an email : marz@kw.com or call/text me: (704) 605-9794.

I look forward to hearing from you.
John Siddons…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Hi Patricia!

You're probably getting a lot of answers that are not directly answering your question. This is because Realtors cannot legally answer questions about schools, demographics, etc.

I can say that a some good growing areas are Marvin and Weddington. It's not far out from the city and it is expanding at a rapid pace. You can check out their school ratings http://www.greatschools.org

If you have any specific questions, feel free to call me at 704-458-1843 or email me at john.siddons@prucarolinas.com

I work with buyers and it doesn't cost you anything extra to use me!

John Siddons
Jan Teel, Agent, Matthews, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Welcome to the Carolinas, Patricia!

My family and I moved here in a relocation with IBM over two decades ago and we have been delighted with our decision. When I travel to other cities I am always struck by how lovely my home town of Charlotte truly is when contrasted with others. We love the weather and the wonderful folks we have met here in our adopted home.

My greatest challenge when making this move was the schools. Some very careful research has to be done to find the combination that will work best for your family. Charlotte has some great magnet school programs that specialize in things such as the arts or foreign languages. There are also some amazing private schools in the region, such as Charlotte Latin, Providence Day School, and the Montessori schools.

Although no one can predict future values, you can study the trends of how neighborhoods have fared, even in this challenging economy. For the most part, where the schools are the most desirable and where they have the highest performance ratings, the homes have held their values well. Where you find a more challenged local school, values are adversely effected.

As Realtors, we are forbidden to suggest which areas you should or should not avoid because of the fear of impartiality and unfair bias. I can help you to navigate through the sites that do give you the information that you may be seeking and help you decipher its meaning. I would also suggest that you call the school board and discuss your children's strengths and weaknesses and get their insight into which of the schools may best suit your needs in the system. ( http://www.cms.k12.nc.us ) On that sight, navigate to "Newcomers" and then to "Realtor Packet" to get some very helpful information.

Please feel free to give me a call for an honest chat about your move and how I may be able to meet your needs. If you already have a buyer's agent working on your behalf, I congratulate you on your first step toward finding a new home in our lovely region. May your journey bring you much happiness and contentment.

Blessings upon you...
Jan Teel
TEEL Realty
704-641-0267
Rose Cramer, Agent, Denver, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
You will love the south. I moved here in 1999 from PA. Mainly for my daughters education and master program. You cant beat the tuition costs . To start do you work out of your home? Will there be a commute to work ? Getting around Charlotte can be challenging if you work out of your home. If you would like to send me an email to rosec@lakenormanrealty.com or visit my site at charlotte-real-estate.com . There is a link on my site for school reports etc. I can set up an automatic search for homes also once we narrow your commute questions. I love working with buyers and finding their dream hom. Look forward to assisting you in the future
Debra M. Buck, , Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Good morning, Patricia!

Congrats on choosing Charlotte. We have lots of great areas with top rated schools. I would love to learn more though before I start rattling off all of these locations. Such as job locations for communting, type/style of home you like, lot size, price, lifestyle, etc.

We have alot to Offer in Charlotte. I would love to assist you in your Relocation. I would love to make the process seamless for you and your family!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Debbie

Debra M Buck
HM Properties
704.421.2107
Debra@hmproperties.com
Web Reference:  http://Www.hmproperties.com
Abby Nelson, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Welcome. You have several options in Charlotte that may fit your needs. There are several factors....distance to work, Age of home, square footage, etc.
I have a 3rd grader in the Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools. Give me a call or email and let's discuss more about your needs.

Abby Nelson
704-890-1860
abbynelson@bellsouth.net