Relocated to Katy, TX from Canada. Wondering about the 'strictness" & "discipline" of Katy schools.

Asked by Melanie, Katy, TX Sat Jan 31, 2009

My children come from a wonderful school in Canada that was small and policies were 'relaxed". They have great grades. Been homeschooling for 1 year. One of my children want to go back to a regular school. I'm concerned about the level of strictness & discipline in Katy schools. My children are very well behaved but grow up in a very relaxed house hold as well. I've heard that some schools seem like boot camp for 'outsiders' that have never been to a Texas school. I don't believe there should be endless rules to keep children in line. They are not accustomed to not coming home for lunch, for the parents to 'pop in' during lunch to visit, etc. I was told that these types of situations is not acceptable here. If they talk about God or the Lord in the public schools, they are disciplined. Can anyone elaborate please and possibly ease my mind?!
--
Katy schools

--
This question is about Faith West Academy: http://www.trulia.com/schools/TX-Katy/Faith_West_Academy/

Answers

2
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Feb 1, 2009
Children are very flexible and able to adjust to most situations. It's we parents that have the greatest amount of difficulty with change.

Schools are not structured as "Boot Camps" but do provide guidelines and expectations that are true extensions of society and the responsibliity of the district to provide a safe environment condusive to learning.

Our advise is to relax and trust that your child's needs will be met. Our recommendation is to become involved. Attend PTO meetings, school functions, athletic events, conferences, etc and become part of the school program.

Margaret T.…, Agent, Conroe, TX
Sun Feb 1, 2009
Melanie,
This is a question that should be irected at parents in the schools.
I certainly would not think than one could not voice the word God or the Lord if not in vain. Just i can not be used in any school material here.
I would go to a PYA or PTO meeting at one of the schools that your childmay attend, meet some parents and ask your questions. They will post these dated on the marque outside the school.
As far as how the school is rated go to http://www.schoolmatters.com

Margaret