Quality of public schools versus Wellesley and private

Asked by Patricia, Riverside, CT Tue May 6, 2008

Would value local views on the quality of the Hingham school system versus another town my family is considering, Wellesley, as well as the surrounding private schools. I'm a big believer in supporting the schools from the town where I raise my kids, but want to make sure the system provides the same commitment back to the families and their children.

Answers

2
Kathy Kelley, Agent, Wellesley, MA
Thu Mar 19, 2009
The Wellesley Public School System is undeniably one of the best public school systems in the country. In fact, Forbes Magazine rated Wellesley the #2 Most Educated Small Town in America. See the link below.

The residents of the town are well educated themselves and value education above almost all other town services. You have to take your trash to the Disposal and Recycling Center, no municipal trash pick up. The trade off is a population that consistently votes to fund the schools, with overrides if necessary. A special election this past December, in the midst of horrible economic headlines, resulted in the funding for a new high school. I am including a link to an excellent article. In addition, I will mention that both of my daughters have received excellent education in the public schools and I am proud to say that thanks to Wellesley, my youngest will graduate from Harvard in June.
Carol, , Massachusetts
Sun May 11, 2008
Hingham Schools and the town itself has much to offer. Hingham has a hockey/skating arena, indoor baseball complex, public Country Club with golf, bowling, swimming; south Shore COnservatory of Music; outdoor skating Pond; numerous tennis courts, soccer, lacrosse, and softball fields. There are many children here and the parents are fully involved, so much so that sometimes you cannot get a seat at a PTO meeting. The parents organize ski trips and trips to Boston for cultural events. There are also a couple fo small beaches and a main bathing beach. Wompatuck State Park is located in town and you will often see families bicycling there.
As for the academics, it is very competitive, sometimes too much so, but all children get a great education. My two daughters were in sports but also benefited by the art and music programs which are fantastic. I cannot say enough about the schools. Both girls are now in graduate school and felt very well prepared for college courses.