My husband is being transferred to Pleasanton Ca. From Switzerland. We are unsure where to look to live probably rent. We have two children 9 and 12.

Asked by Kathleen-peter, Pleasanton, CA Fri Oct 26, 2012

Hoping to send children to German school.. What is commute like from Berkeley Or Mountain View to Pleasanton ?

Answers

7
Corey Hamlin, Home Owner, Pleasanton, CA
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Kathleen,

Just a quick note as you've probably already made your decision, but I can tell you that I work for a Swiss company (with offices in the Bay Area) and also live in Pleasanton. Our previous Swiss CEO lived in Blackhawk (Danville) with his family (teenage daughter). Our previous Swiss CFO lived in Alameda with his twin babies. Our current Swiss lives in San Francisco (no children).

I guess my point is that it is very hard to be specific in answering your question and that it will vary highly on personal opinions. My impression is that all 3 of these gentlemen came from around the Zurich area and liked the metropolitan feel more than the suburban feel. Each chose to live in different areas due to family, commute, weather, and lifestyle. The office I work in is in the EastBay near Oakland (not quite to Berkeley) and I commute to/from Pleasanton everyday. It takes me about 20 minutes on average. To Berkeley, in my opinion, your commute would be 35-40 minutes on average but would most likely jump to 60 minutes at least one way one day each week.

familyliving, , Pleasanton, CA
Wed Oct 31, 2012
Kathleen,
My roots are both in the San Francisco Bay Area as well as Switzerland, and I have no interest in selling or renting anything to you, so I can be a neutral source of objective, analytical information to someone faced with your challenges. (I faced the reverse challenge when I was sent to Germany.)

Where in Switzerland are you coming from? Zurich stadt-zentrum? Pfaffikon-Sz? Lucerne? Winterthur? Most likely Basel, would be my guess... (My family roots are in Uri, Altdorf, and a good friend Cesar, owner of the Hotel Schiff, Pfaffikon SZ, will verify that I am real, should you check.)

The answer to your question of where to live and where to educate your kids...begins with what you are accustomed to lifestyle-wise, what you are comfortable with commute-wise, what you expect, and your level of income. Everything begins with these questions. Depending upon your situation, a list of pros and cons can be developed. Feel free to contact me directly via email and I can be helpful. familyliving@comcast.net

The same offer goes to others who are considering Pleasanton. It is a **great** community.

Steve

P.S. I have lived in San Francisco and Silicon Valley as well as Europe, and here is no place like Pleasanton if you have children to raise.
Taj Weldon, Agent, Tracy, CA
Fri Oct 26, 2012
I agree with Michael,

Driving to Pleasanton is a reverse commute .
30-50 minutes
Michael Tess…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Oct 26, 2012
Hello
Congratulations to you and your husband and your family and your move to California.
Being born and raised in the Bay Area and selling real estate for the last 28 years in this area and now living in San Jose I can tell you.driving from Mtn View, or Berkeley to Pleasanton is. Far easier during rush hour then driving from Pleasanton to either of these cities driving from MtnView or Berkeley to Pleasanton is a reverse commute taking about 30-50 minutes drive time.
Rentals in Mtn View will not be inexpensive and rentals in Berkeley/Oakland will be slightly less expensive and Pleasanton would be the least expensive should you choose to live there.
Should you have any other questions please feel to contact me or visit my website at http://www.interores.com/mtessaro
Best wishes and good luck with you international move.
Michael
Michael Koen…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Fri Oct 26, 2012
Hallo Kathleen,
You must be referring to the German International Schools of Silicon Valley.
Yes, it is a bit a commute from Pleasanton to either Mountain View or Berkeley (but Berkeley being easier).

It may come down to what your housing expense budget is, in order to determine what area is most workable.

When you have an idea of what your budget is, feel free to message me, I'd be happy to help.

Ich wünsche Ihnen alles Gute!

Michael Koenig
Michael@CalPacBrokers.com
Web Reference:  http://www.CalPacBrokers.com
What about living in walnut creek area ? Then kids have trip to school in Berkeley and husband to Pleasanton. What are these travel times like.
We will rent .was hoping for 3/4 bedroom. Between 2/3000$
Flag Sat Oct 27, 2012
Doug Buenz &…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Fri Oct 26, 2012
Hi Kathleen. Pleasanton is a wonderful community with excellent quality schools. The neighborhoods are excellent and there are abundant parks and community amenities in the city.

The commute from Berkeley or Mountain View is in the 30 -40 minute range in rush hour. Berkeley is easier than Mt View. The reverse commute is tougher (Pleasanton to Berkeley or Mt View). Frankly it might be easier to live in the Oakland Hills or even Orinda if you are planning on sending your kids to school in Berkeley.

If you decide you would like to live in the Pleasanton & Tri-Valley area there are many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from

For more information on the Pleasanton community go to http://www.680homes.com/pleasanton-real-estate/

For information on the rest of the communities in the Tri-Valley go to http://680homes.com

Good luck in your transfer!

Doug Buenz
The 680 Group at Alain Pinel Realtors
(925) 463-2000
Doug@680Homes.com
Web Reference:  http://www.680homes.com
Julia Murtagh, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Fri Oct 26, 2012
Hello ,
Pleasanton is a great central location in the East Bay. The commute to Berkeley should be a bit closer then Mountain View. You have the ability to take BART ( Train) to Berkeley , but you or kids would need to make a transfer in Oakland. That Bart ride would be around 40 minutes if you can time it right. Driving to Berekely is about 30 minutes, but that also depends on what part of Berekely , and the time of day.

Mountain View is about 45 minutes , but there can be some serious Silicon Valley Traffic heading down in the AM, and the returning in the evening.It really depends on the time of day. Bart does not go down to Mountain View.

I hope this helps some.
SIncerely
Julia Murtagh
"Bringing Integrity to Your Front Door"
http://www.JuliaMurtagh.com

I