My husband and I are ready to settle down, buy a home, and start a family. The school district in this area looks very good, but are the taxes more

Asked by Marisa Austin, Philadelphia County, PA Sun May 23, 2010

than we can handle? We are looking to buy a starter home, 2 bedroom around $225,000.

Answers

7
Charles Base…, , Ardmore, PA
Tue Oct 23, 2012
The taxes are above average in 19003 because of the certain benefits that come along with the area. For example, Ardmore is in the Lower Merion School district, which is a great public school but it is financed largely by property taxes. Now if you do not have children at the moment who can attend the school, maybe it would be more advisable to move to an area in which the municipal taxes are lower.

Serving Southeastern Pennsylvania, the Basement Professor is a leader in basement and crawlspace foundation waterproofing, mold remediation, structural repair, egress systems and basement remodeling. Call Us Now For A Free In-Home Inspection (888)719-4869

http://www.BasementProfessor.com
Cheryl R. Su…, , Schwenksville, PA
Mon May 24, 2010
Hi Marisa, taxes are always going to be there. The area is important to you because of the schools. Maybe look at homes at a lower purchase price or talk to your mortgage person to see if you can buy down your interest rate to make up for the high taxes. Is there a particular area you will consider or do you only want to be in 19003?

Cheryl Supplee
Coldwell Banker Preferred
csupplee@cbpref.com
(610) 812-6575
http://www.cherylshomesforsale.com
Jim Moylan, Agent, Havertown, PA
Tue May 25, 2010
Marisa,

Thanks for your question... the best way to determine how much home you can afford is by talking to a mortgage lender, perhaps one at your local bank. Then, decide on the kind of house you want, contact a realtor and start looking at houses!

Best of luck in starting your family!
Renee Porsia, Agent, Newtown, PA
Mon May 24, 2010
Hello Marisa,

Two bedroom homes are hard to find. You can most likely find a 3 bedroom home in your price range.

The best way to determine if you will be able to afford the monthly payment and actually see for yourself every single cost that you will incur is to obtain a GFE (Good Faith Estimate.) Your buyer agent can go over the GFE with you as well as the mortgage consultant.

My professional advice to you is to first and foremost, find a buyer agent who will protect your best interests and only yours. Once you do that, sit down with the mortgage consultant who will actually take the necessary time to explain absolutely everything to you. The last thing that you want is to find a mortgage consultant who has no time for you and doesn't explain anything to you and trust me this happens all the time. Your buyer agent can assist you with this task.

Once you have met with and hired your buyer agent, sat with the mortgage consultant and established your team, then and only then are you ready to venture out and begin your new home search!

I sit down with every single one of my buyer clients and go over every detail of the buying process. If a buyer doesn't want to do this, then I won't work with them because it shows me that that buyer is not serious and doesn't care enough about their own rights.

I service all of Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery Counties as well as New Jersey.

Feel free to check out my website: http://www.reneeporsia.com. You can read my popular blog which you will find very helpful.

I'd love to speak with you and your husband about your situation.

You can email me at reneeporsia@mac.com if you would prefer.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office Ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com
Sean Dawes, , Philadelphia, PA
Sun May 23, 2010
Marissa,

Your next step would be to look at your finances and see what you can afford in terms of a mortgage payment as well as taxes. You can reach out and contact a mortgage professional who will be able to see what you pre-qualify for. Even though you may prequalify for a price, you do not have to always spend that much. Because remember that over time you may need money to do repairs or other things that you don't anticipate on.

If you need a suggestion you can reach out to Robert LaPierree from Prosperity Mortgage (a division of Wells Fargo) at robert.lapierre@prosperitymortgage.com

Any questions or if you need help, don't hesitate to contact me:

Sean Dawes
Long and Foster Real Estate
sean.dawes@LNF.com
215-409-6900 ex 16
Cheryl K. Bo…, , Haverford, PA
Sun May 23, 2010
Marisa:

The Ardmore area is located in two townships...Lower Merion and Haverford. Lower Merion is Montgomery county and taxes are lower on the Montgomery County side vs. Haverford Township, which falls under Delaware County. School info in available on my website, as well as a mortgage calcuculator. If you would like assistance in your home search, just let me know. Hope this helps.....when you get your mortgage, you can opt to have taxes rolled into the payments, which is one less thing to think about budgeting for.
Sheila Salvi…, Agent, North Wales, PA
Sun May 23, 2010
Hi Marisa!

Congratulations on this very exciting time in your life. The first and most important step is to get you pre-approved with a mortgage lender. You will immediately know if the taxes are something your budget can handle. Call me or send me an email for a great lender recommendation.

Sheila Salvitti
Coldwell Banker Premier Properties
215-699-9000 x124
sheila@cbpremierproperties.com
http://www.sheilasalvitti.com