My daughter is on the autism spectrum - which Newton elementary schools are good for kids with such needs?

Asked by mcarter27, Brookline, MA Sat Jul 14, 2012

Answers

4
Paul Gardner, Agent, Needham, MA
Sat Jul 14, 2012
There is a support group in Newton called NoNap which stands for Network of Newton Autism Parents. Go to http://www.yahoogroups.com and do a search for NoNap. I think that those parents could be a tremendous resource for you. Overall, some of the highest rated elementary schools are Mason-Rice, Bowen, Ward and Underwood and for middle school, the Charles Brown Middles School. Good luck. Paul Gardner
Thx for the info - I will definitely check them out!
Flag Sat Jul 21, 2012
Ellen Karp, Agent, Wellesley, MA
Sat Jul 14, 2012
I would call Dr. Martha Markowitz in Newton Center. She is the guru on advising parents on "right choice schools" for children on the autism spectrum in Newton. Her office is at 93 Union St. in Newton.
Thx - I will give her a call.
Thx for Dr. Martha Markowitz recommendation - I will give her a call. What part of Newton is the Angier school in? Is that considered Newton Highlands or Waban?
Flag Sat Jul 21, 2012
Ellen Karp, Agent, Wellesley, MA
Sat Jul 14, 2012
I am a real estate agent ,as well as a very part-time teacher in Newton. The consensus is that the Angier School has a very fine special needs dept. I hope I have been of help to you?
Masha Sender…, Agent, Newton, MA
Sat Jul 14, 2012
Short answer is all of them are far better than in any other town, the Newton Public School system is the champion for integrated learning and inclusive classrooms. I just moved to Newton myself for the same reason, so I can finally practice what I preach. AANE has great forums, as well - if you're not already on those. Happy to chat off-line if you want more info.