If you live close to a town border in Westchester, can you send your kids to that adjoining town's schools?

Asked by Kept Looking, 10011 Sun Aug 3, 2008

(Ex: live in Yonkers, send kids to Hastings HS, or Edgemont or Bronxville etc?). Seeking anyones response, not just RE pros. Thanks in advance.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Msotonyc’s answer
Msotonyc, Home Owner, Yonkers, NY
Wed Aug 1, 2012
No. The bottom line is if you could afford to live in one of those towns you would so why live in (for example) Yonkers and then pay for your child to go to a Hastings school (which depending on the school may not be better anyway). Edgemont, Scarsdale and Bronxville are known for the great schools but the taxes are extremely high. Since Yonkers is such a big district, what I did was compare individual schools to those of the districts that I knew had good elementary schools (like the above and listed and Tuckahoe). Otherwise, you're really comparing apples to oranges. What I found when I compared was that the top Yonkers school (PEARLS) is just as good academically as the ones I listed. Good Luck!
0 votes
Melissa Cola…, Agent, Irvington, NY
Tue Aug 18, 2015
You cannot send your child to a public school "for free" if you do not live within the district's borders. The people living and paying taxes within the borders are paying for the district's education budget.

As Realtors, we don't talk about schools, but we can talk about budgeting. There are many ways of looking at paying for education. Some people find that living in an area with a proportionately lower tax rate and paying for private/parochial education separately, saves them money in the long term, versus living in an area where the taxes are very high and sending them to public school "for free" for 13 years or less. Sometimes it costs less to pay for education only during the years your children are using the education, especially if you plan to stay in the home for a long period time. This concept depends, of course, on how many children you have, their ages and their needs. Some people find that it gives them the freedom to tailor your child's educational needs and not get stuck beholden to the programs offered "for free" within a higher taxed school district. The bottom line is that you are paying for it either way. A 2,500 sq/ft, 3 bedroom home in Westchester may be taxed anywhere from $8,000 - $45,000 annually depending on location. I know this was not your direct question but I think it's something to add to the conversation as buyers can very often be school district oriented even when the numbers don't work.

Melissa Colabella
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Julia B. Fee Sotheby's International Realty
0 votes
Candace Evans, , Yonkers, NY
Wed Aug 6, 2008
It depends. You generally cannot send a child for free, but if space is available in the desired school district, and you are willing to pay, you may be allowed to send your child. Beware, however, of the costs: I know one parent who investigated Hastings and the out-of-district costs there were $13,000 for elementary school.
0 votes
Steven S. Ge…, Agent, White Plains, NY
Tue Aug 5, 2008
Close to a town border does not count. There are some homes in areas that straddle two school districts and then the homeowner can select the school district but you should check with the town first. We have had several situations where this has come up in Greenburgh and other areas.. However, as stated in the previous response, town & school lines are usually well defined.

If you have specific instances that you wish to inquire on are are interested pursuing, I would be happy to assist you. I can be reached easily by phone or email.

Steve Geiger
Associate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence
White Plains, NY
0 votes
Kate O'Keefe, Agent, Katonah, NY
Mon Aug 4, 2008
School lines are defined by state law. I think you have to think as an owner in the adjoining town. They are paying taxes and you are not. You have to make up for it. If you want to send a child to another school district, I believe you pay the amount the town has budgeted per child. I believe the only exception would be for a special child. Always check with the school districts and ask according to your child’s needs. You can always move, but obviously this can be cost prohibitive. Good Luck!
0 votes
Pascual Paul…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Mon Aug 4, 2008
You have to check with the town, city or hamlet in question. Everyone has different rules. Few will allow with some exceptions (mostly monatary)
Web Reference:  http://Paulmvpteam.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more