If I own a home in two different school districts, can my child attend either school district?

Asked by Conflicted, San Jose, CA Fri Jun 25, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Michael Robe…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Fri Jun 25, 2010
Hi Conflicted, There is only one pragmatic answer for you. Calling each district is the only way you will learn exactly what your options/opportunities are.

1 vote
Gilbert Rich…, , Santa Clara County, CA
Fri Jun 25, 2010
Call the schools themselves. I have the same issue because I live on the Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill border. I had to call the school myself to find out. Call the school district and you should be fine.
0 votes
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Fri Jun 25, 2010
I find that sometimes when someone ask these questions (not directly to the school) it is to find a loop-hole in the system. The school districts have their rules and it is in your child's best interest to check with the school district directly. Your situation may be specific, such as joint custody of two parents, child care with grandparents, etc. so call the district and get the straight scoop.
Web Reference:  http://www.terrivellios.com
0 votes
Andrea Wince…, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Fri Jun 25, 2010
Hello Conflicted, I believe you would have to choose one address where your child resides on a daily basis and then use that address when enrolling your child in school. Keep in mind that if the "home" school enrollment is full, they could still send your child to a different school. It's best to call the district office and check on enrollment availability. To locate a district office, you can search by address here:
0 votes
Erica Glessi…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri Jun 25, 2010
The spirit of the school district "rules" are "where the child sleeps at night." So just owning a home may not be enough. If districts are heavily impacted, such as Palo Alto Unified, they may follow children home to see where they live. In other scenarios, say with a gifted athlete, the eyes will also be very intense and a district may ask to see his or her bedroom, and look for evidence that the child lives there.

In other larger districts with less staff, it may be less intense like a letter home. Some people own a home in a district, rent it out, and still use it as the home address. In less impacted areas, you can ask for an interdistrict transfer and receive it.

The spirit of the "rule" would preclude the child attending either district and would point to the child attending the school in the boundary area where he or she sleeps at night -- but lots of things like this do happen all the time and especially now with budget cuts it could be expected that districts may police it less. Alternatively with budget cuts districts may police it more and allow fewer "loose" attendance rules.

Good luck!

Erica Nelson
Education Specialist
DRE 01425475
0 votes
Norman Aless…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri Jun 25, 2010
I agree with Michael, if you don't do that and just leave it up to us for an answer we could be WRONG.
By calling each district you will get exactly what your options are.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
DRE# 01397256
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more