I've heard good things about the Davis school system. Anyone with first-hand experience?

Asked by me, Davis, CA Thu Apr 10, 2008

I have two children - one about to go to jr. high and one much younger.

Answers

5
Maureen, , Davis, CA
Sun Sep 14, 2008
I've been a sustitute teacher in the Sacramento and Davis school systems. Generally, the two are worlds apart. You can really see the difference once you get to high school. Davis offers a wide range of college prep courses, advance math, science, and foreign languages. They still have a great programs for art, music, and computer. You can see student drawings and murals on the school grounds and they seem professionally done. They will be well prepared when they go to college. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for many Sacramento schools.

I like the classroom atmosphere in the Davis elementary schools. A lot of adults say they feel that there is too much competition for the kids. I do not believe this is true. Many teachers encourage cooperative learning and you should see how these kids help each other out. They are helpful and use kind and encouraging words. The ones being helped are receptive. It's great to watch them.
Saul Schaefer, Home Buyer, 95618
Mon Apr 28, 2008
My kids went to Davis schools, the youngest is finishing DHS this year. Probably the best schools in the region, plus they have special programs (Spanish Immersion and GATE to name 2).
Curtis Lam, Both Buyer And Seller, Davis, CA
Mon Apr 21, 2008
The Davis school system is very good, and has a high API ranking. All of the elementary schools are excellent, though Birch Lane is probably the worst. By worst, it's just not as superior as the others. There are three junior high schools, and all are very good. Essentially, the Davis school system is so good that people don't really think about sending their kids to private schools. I went to elementary, junior high, and high school in davis. From my class, about 1/2 of the kids went to UC schools, and almost 95% went to 4 -year college. About 30 out of 400 went to Berkeley. My 2-year old will eventually go to Davis public schools. Besides, they need the students these days :-)
Carmen Isais, , 95616
Wed May 21, 2008
Davis is home to some of the better schools in the area (Yolo County), aside from having access to better funding sources, the schools are also located in a community that is involved and proactive. Take for example the recent response by The Davis Schools Foundation and Davis residence.... together with the community, Davis Schools Foundations was able to raise over 1.7 million dollars to save many faculty positions and school enrichment programs.

You can learn more about this at their site: http://www.davisschoolsfoundation.org

If you have any other questions about the local schools, public or private, please let me know.

Carmen Isais
530.601.1003
Web Reference:  http://www.focusondavis.com
Rob, Home Buyer, Davis, CA
Thu May 8, 2008
Read the local city paper, the Davis Enterprise about the latest school budget cuts. There's a Save Our School fund drive going on to save a few of the potential 100 lay offs and programs cuts. There's also the school district's website with lots of information. Hope this helps.