I am confused about which neighborhoods are associated with which schools. Do parents apply to certain elementary schools? How does this work?

Asked by karaoemerson, Watertown, MA Mon Oct 1, 2012

Answers

4
Liz Goodwin, Agent, Melrose, MA
Wed Oct 24, 2012
Yes, you get to chose your top 3 choices for which elementary school you want your children to attend. It used to be based on your address but over the last 10/15yrs some neighborhood schools have been closed.
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Sat Oct 6, 2012
I would call the school department to get the best answer.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
marie.hovis, Home Buyer, Melrose, MA
Fri Oct 5, 2012
There are no assigned schools based on address. I'm not sure how old your children are, but when my daughter started kindergarten we went to open houses at all 5 elementary schools and were to submit our first, second, and third preferences. We were given our first preference, but then decided to change to a different school in first grade. Hope that helps.
Masha Sender…, Agent, Newton, MA
Mon Oct 1, 2012
Call the superintendent's office. Each address is assigned to a specific school, and you can find out from them which school for the address(es) you're considering: 617 926-7700
Laura is correct
Flag Wed Oct 24, 2012
Melrose does not have assigned elementary schools. You can choose whichever school you want, and it does not matter where you live in the town. -Homeowner, Melrose
Flag Tue Oct 16, 2012
thank you!
Flag Mon Oct 1, 2012