How would you describe the public and private education options in Hollywood?

Asked by Halley S., New York, NY Mon Apr 23, 2007

Answers

4
Mom And Prof…, , Hollywood, FL
Sat Dec 25, 2010
I can answer to Nativity Catholic School: The basics of math and reading are heavily drilled into the children like learning of the old days. The teachers are local homegrown Hollywood citizens, and sometimes a little closed minded, or maybe just overly stressed, as the classrooms have 36 children each. Behavior is addressed with rigidity and in some ways humiliation or shame. There is a fifteen minute window for which to drop off your children in the morning, meaning complete mayham in the parking lot, which often scared me. The school has severe punishment if your child is late, which may simply be because someone in front of you in line was taking their sweet time to drop off the child. The aftercare costs almost the same as the tuition, and only offers to let the kids to run around in the strong heat for four hours and get a couple of sugar cookies and kool aid around 4:30. The vice principal is rude and in a bad mood daily. She does not appear to even like children. The computers are so old, I think they are from the 1990s. There is so much rigidity and formality, it seems like a military school at times; and if your child did not fill something out just so, he/she will be left out due to rules enforcement. Overly competitiveness is encouraged, yet the teachers refuse to shed any light on what is going on inside of the classroom. It was like a big black box, infact, parents are locked out of the school. Nativity is extremely frugal; the school completely relys on random parents to completely volunteer with their time and resources for art programs, and strongly discourages painting/ batique/ pottery, etc. Basically about once a month your kids are given thirty minutes to cut and paste or draw a picture with crayons for their art experience. Other extracurriculars/ enhancements are not introduced until later years. The preK program has a Spanish "bilingual program", but again, there is a big black box as to who gets selected for this, and it is unpleasant to think of how many children you have sent to the school and paid for, to find out that new commers are taken right into the bilingual class while your child did not get selected. They are not very forward thinking at the school, so don't bother to suggest ideas. In fact, I would say many of the teachers seem like hippies throw backs. I got to the point that I did not feel the development of my children was cared about at all, and that the school wants to mold my children into the prototype of a human being that they believe is "correct," no matter what the collateral damage would be to their self-esteem, or to me with respect to the stress I was experiencing with their archaic and overly rigid and impractical policies and their lack of communication and barriers to communication. I may consider the sister-high school Chaminade Madonna in the future if I determine the teachers are more professional, but I would send my children to a public school and get them tested for the gifted program any day before returning there. Also, working mothers, beware: this school does not have a lot of provisions when the school closes, and there is NO early drop off, so you have those fifteen minutes to get your child into the class, and then you are fighting all of the chaos getting out, and you will not be at work by 8:00.
Catherine Kim…, Agent, Hallandale, FL
Thu Jan 14, 2010
depends on whether elementary, middle, or h.s. I send mine to Hollywood Academy of Arts & Sciences. It's A-rated in elem. & middle; however, it's by lottery and there's a wait list. Hollywood Central is A rated. Attucks Middle is another A-rated, which is C.I.T.E. - technology infused. High School is a toughie...South Broward is C-rated. Sheridan Hills is a B, I think. HOwever, we can all apply to Nova, which is rated #15 in the nation...again, by lottery. There is a new montessouri charter, which is being built to open next year. I am on the Hallandale Educ. Adv. and the Broward School's Diversity Comm...plus an active SAC/PTO parent. I'm aa realtor, mtg. broker, and LCAM property mgr. If you need further help, let me know: cjkowens@aol.com or 954-536-0648
Catherine Kim…, Agent, Hallandale, FL
Mon Nov 30, 2009
you can go on the broward school board's website to get standardized test results/rept card scores for each school. Hollywood Central is an A-rated school. Hollywood Academy of Arts & Sciences, where I send my son, is an A-rated elem&middle; There is Ben Gamla charter school, where they teach Hebrew, etc. The school board's website is: http://www.browardschools.com.

Also, on Wednesday, they are having an open showcase for magnate programs at the Broward Convention Cntr. This is where you get to find out about all the programs that are available and where. It's btw 5-9pm. If you do go, text msg me: 954-536-0648. I am a realtor, mtg. broker, and an active education activist in the Hollywd/Hallandale area. I'm on educ. adv. comm's and school board's Diversity Comm.

Tell me what grades your kids are in, and what they would like to study, perhaps I can help. Also, on that school board's website, you can put a zip code/address in and they'll tell you which schools are the home schools fr that residence, albeit, you can transfer out fr specific programs. I'm fr NY too...it's not an easy transition:)

Call or email me if you need help.
Catherine Kim Owens P.A.; 954-536-0648; cjkowens@aol.com
Anne Martine…, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Mon Apr 23, 2007
Hollywood has a very good public education system. Most of all the elementary schools in Hollywood are 'A' rated. The middle school are 'A' or 'B' rated and the high schools are rated 'C'. The local private schools have an excellent track record and are available throughout the City.