How is the crime around that area. Is a nice area in general to live . we like to build a house on Fayetteville rd and we are wondering ,

Asked by Raclepa, Durham, NC Sun Apr 1, 2012

Answers

1
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Mon Apr 2, 2012
Fayetteville Rd is a commercial street and while there are a few homes on some stretches of it I would not recommend building a home on this street itself as you will constantly hear traffic. If you are determined to build a home in this area I would strongly suggest you focus on residential areas located off this main traffic artery. Other things you may wish to consider are school districts as this zip-code is serviced by two vastly different middle and high schools and four different elementary schools for example.

Southwest Durham is a great location in general and the residential areas in the 27713 zip-code are not particularly high crime areas. You can always use the Durham Crimemapper program: http://gisweb.durhamnc.gov/gis_apps/crimedata/dsp_entryform.cfm which is an excellent source of specific information. I have been referring buyer clients to it for years.

As someone extremely familiar with building homes I would like to point out some of the advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is primarily you get the home you want and it's new, you'll be the first to live in it. The disadvantage is you will likely spend anywhere from 10-25% more than if you were to buy a similar preexisting home. A 10-25% premium pays for a lot of upgrades if you felt the need for them.

There are many things to consider when contemplating building or having a home built and having an experienced Buyer Broker who will represent your interests only and who can guide you through the process can not only save you money but can make the entire process go much easier. I've attached a link below on how to find a great Broker and encourage you to feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance to you.