How do I find out which specific public school a house is assigned to?

Asked by Alex, 19460 Wed Apr 15, 2009

Our school district is generally well regarded, however, there are 3 elementary schools within the district, and one of them is much weaker than the other two. How can I make sure the house I may be interested in is not assigned to the "bad" elementary school? The district website has no maps, and real estate ads only say the name of the district, not specific school.

Answers

5
Edmund Choi, Agent, Paoli, PA
Thu Apr 16, 2009
Contact the 'Transportation Department' of the school district and provide the address. They will then instruct what schools service that property. Also, be advised, from time to time, a district may undergo redistricting for financial benefits or curriculum unification. Good Hunting!
Sharon Harris, Agent, Hanover, PA
Thu Apr 16, 2009
John Badalam…, Agent, Wayne, PA
Thu Apr 16, 2009
Alex, I handle a lot of relocation clients from around the country and questions about a school or school system often comes up. By virtue of Fair Housing Laws, a licensed real estate agent is not permitted to recommend./suggest a particular school or school district.

Outside of school reports, my suggestion is to contact the school's main district office and tell them the address of the property in question and they should be able to tell you which elementary school fall where.

Also, once you know which elementary school the home is located in, schedule an appointment with the principal. The school may also have a PTA and you may also be able to speak with some of the parents as well.

John (John B.) Badalamenti
Associate Broker
Certified Residential Specialist/Relocation Specialist
ABR, CRS, SRES, CNHS, ASR, e-PRO,
REALTOR®
Prudential Fox & Roach, REALTORS® - Wayne, PA
610-688-4310 Office
610-341-4832 Direct
610-585-8697 Cell
Jennifer Day…, Agent, Phoenixville, PA
Wed Apr 15, 2009
Good Evening Alex,

It would really be in your best interest to find a local experienced Realtor who can help you with your questions. That Realtor will be there for you whenever you have one! To answer your question you can call the agent and ask them which elementary school is utilized for that particular home. Realtors are not allowed by law to steer you in any direction or to give you specific information regarding schools. However they can tell you which school is assigned to their listing.

If I can be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jennifer Daywalt, Realtor
Re/Max Results Realty
Phoenixville's Home Town Realtor
Top Realtor 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
610-999-7693 Direct
610-489-7355 Main Office
Sellinghomesjenn@aol.com
Neil and Kat…, Agent, West Chester, PA
Wed Apr 15, 2009
Alex the best way to handle this is to call the transportation department for the school district. Most times the person there will be able to tell you imediately just by telling them the property address. Many of the school districts elementary schools have hard lines by the townships they are in and the transportation department can tell you which elementary schools go with which township.

Neil Haverly
Neil@EveryHomeInPA.com
Web Reference:  http://www.EveryHomeInPA.com