How big of a difference is there between the public and private schools in the East Bay?

Asked by Brian Sparr, Walnut Creek, CA Thu May 3, 2007

Answers

5
Brian Rochfo…, Agent, Moraga, CA
Thu Nov 1, 2007
Besides being a Realtor, I am also a long time resident of Lamorinda. I attended St. Perpetua private school from K-8 and then went on the Campolindo High School. Looking back on my experience, both St. Perpetua and Campolindo provided a great education, but at St. Perpetua I learned a lot about interacting with other peers and received a lot more one-on-one attention since our class size was only 30+ students. And actually the same 30+ students went from K all the way through 8th grade. I still keep in contact with a lot of them. And I am now on the School Board for St. Perpetua. Both experiences are positive ones. And more importantly, both areas are great communities to have your children grow up in. I am amazed that very few people ever move away from this area, once they are established here. And each year, more and more kids that grew up here, end up coming back to live here and start there own families. Lastly, as Magnru pointed out the Acalanes High School District is now #1 in California, so if you choose that route, you are getting the best in the state! Hope that helps.
Douglas Moore, , 94598
Sat Oct 20, 2007
Three of my four children attended Northgate HIgh School in Walnut Creek over the past 10 years and my fourth just graduated from DLS. The two major differences were:
1. Overall moral climate at DLS was better, cleaner and more uplifting.
2. DLS had a stronger culture, sense of community, brotherhood.
We feel like we got our money's worth as the academic quailty comparisons are relatively equal-- and all the other intangibles seemed to favor DLS.
Web Reference:  http://www.apr.com/dougm
Magnru, , 94595
Sun Oct 21, 2007
In the Lamorinda/Walnut Creek area the Acalanes School District (Public) comprised of Acalanes, Campolindo, Miramonte, and Las Lomas High School is the #1 Rated School District in California, and is on par or superior to private schools in the area.
Cory Lerner, , 94563
Wed May 16, 2007
It depends- not to be vague about it. Some public high schools (limit focus a bit) are excellent and have as high or even higher a rate of placement per capita into top colleges as private schools. Given that private schools can cost thousands or tens of thousands a year in tuition, it pays dividends to look into top public schools first. The Orinda school system (part of the Acalanes School district) is consistently rated one of the top in the state, based on STAR exams, college placement, percentage of students going on to college, parent participation and almost every other criteria you could consider. Not many private schools come close to that, for example.
Peter, , San Francisco Bay Area
Fri May 4, 2007
There is a big diffrence when it comes to high schools. Depending on where you live the school vary. Oakland for example there is a big diffrence between Skyline high and Bishop O'Dowd they are in close proximity to each other and have a very different student base.
Check ou there website below.
Web Reference:  http://www.bishopodowd.org/