Did you know that Kirkwood's Toomer Elementary School was Featured in April's Issue of Atlanta Magazine?

Asked by Sean Casey, 30317 Wed Apr 2, 2008

In rememberance of the fortieth anniversary of the death of Dr. Martin Luther King, Atlanta Magazine has published an article "Re-segregation of Atlanta Schools" in thier April Issue. While re-segregation may sound backwards, I think re-integration would be a better term. The rising diversity at Kirkwood's Toomer Elementary in 30317 is highlighted at length. Veiw the complet article here: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/article.aspx?id=22628

Answers

3
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Thu Apr 3, 2008
Thanks Sean - thou rocketh.

Another reason to love Kirkwood.
The Keen Team…, Agent, Decatur, GA
Wed Apr 30, 2008
Wow. Great article. Thanks for sharing. It's been great to witness the transformation of Kirkwood into one of Atlanta's most diverse and interesting Intown neighborhoods. And I agree that "re-segregation" seems a bit backywards terminology :)
Ramiro Garcia, , Grants Park, Atlanta, GA
Fri Apr 18, 2008
That's awesome! All schools should be top-performing and have the resources needed to teach all our children - regardless of race and socio-economic status. Diversity needs to be valued and celebrated! This is true at the Charter Schools in Grant Park, both The Neighborhood Charter School and Atlanta Charter Middle School. I am certain Toomer and Coan in Kirkwood will also value and celebrate Kirkwood's diversity.