Can we have kids go to same school even though we are going to change (buy a new) house?

Asked by Ravi Menon, Katy, TX Fri Jan 13, 2012

We currently live in an apt. And my kids as a result go to the school that is near the apt. We really like the school, but are now thinking of buying a house. The one we are interested in though is assigned to a different school, though in the same area. Can we continue to have the kids go to the same school even though we've changed houses?

Answers

4
Veronica Mul…, Agent, Katy, TX
Fri Jan 13, 2012
The school's grade level counselor and/or registrar where your children currently attend will be able to fully answer your question.
My Katy area clients who have moved within the district have been able to complete the school year at the school where they were zoned before their mid-year move. If there were special circumstances in each of those instances I do not know. Along with staying at the same school, these parents lost school bus transportation from the new home to the old school. Parents had to drive and pick up their kids at the new school until the year ended. So be prepared for that.
I was a school teacher in several Houston area school districts for 10 years, including Katy ISD, and it has been my experience that the school faculty, counselors and principals will work with you to do what is in the best interest of the children.
So, talk to your school counselor at your earliest convenience, and do what's best for your kids for completing this school year.

I wish you a smooth transition into your new home.
Vickey Wacht…, Agent, Katy, TX
Fri Jan 13, 2012
The chances are no, they can finish out this year but will have to go to assigned school next year, unless there are special circumstances as Victor stated.
You couldn't find a house in the school district you are in? Even if they have to change schools kids adapt very quickly and sometimes changing schools is a good idea. We moved our kids to a new school over 2 years ago 2 were in high school and 2 were in Jr high, now they are all together and don't miss the old school at all. They still get to see their friends from the old neighborhood, not going to the same school gives them something to talk about!! Find something positive about the move, make it an adventure and don't act like its the end of the world and they wont either.
Wishing you the best
Shama Sheikh, Agent, Katy, TX
Fri Jan 13, 2012
It depends on the grade level. Please contact me at 832-316-0404 and we can discuss your situation in detail.
The Short Te…, Agent, Katy, TX
Fri Jan 13, 2012
Depends on the grade or special need children. If special need children, I belive the answer is yes. For 12th grade yes, 11th grade maybe. The person to answer that question, would be the school.