Can a student in the Lake Washington School District attend Issaquah or Bellevue USD schools?

Asked by Mario Oliver, Hideaway, TX Thu Jan 3, 2013

LWSD does not appear to offer the IB diploma. On one website, a user commented that inter-district choice was available in addition to intra-district (attend any school in your assigned district). I have a note out to the superindendent's office and want practical feedback as well. TIA.

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3098815333-23724-NE-65th-Pl-R…

Answers

4
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Thu Jan 3, 2013
Mario,
These are great questions, but we as Brokers are not the most reliable source of information on School District Policies. While I have 3 kids that have gone through or are currently in the LWSD, some policies have changed with each one.
I have found the District to be very helpful with these questions and would encourage you to get the answer straight from them. I've attached a link below and their phone number is 425-936-1200.
I would love to know what you find out.
kreith, Home Owner, Redmond, WA
Fri Jan 4, 2013
Mario, while the district does not offer the IB diploma, we do offer a similar program, the Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) at Juanita High School. (I'm communications director for the district.) The AICE is an international diploma that students can earn via successful completion of the advanced academic curriculum and assessment program. The international standards, established by the Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) organization of the University of Cambridge in England, are rigorous and well known by international and major national colleges and universities. More information on the program is posted on the district website at the link below. I hope you will consider this option as well.
Mario Oliver, Home Buyer, Hideaway, TX
Fri Jan 4, 2013
Appreciate the responses. Additionally, the Office of the Superintendent for WA schools responded quickly. I include portions of the responses below and highlight it comes down to the districts involved (similar to Dan's response).

There appear to be two options: 1) Inter-district agreements and 2) Choice agreements. In summary, Inter-district policy appears to be set agreement with specific constraints including the number of people admitted each year as non-residents. Choice appears to be an aspect of the No Child Left Behind Act with similar but different regulation for when the choice will be approved. Regulation also initiates at the district level. Each type has different fiscal and educational responsibility implications for the school districts involved with the main difference being choice is a complete transfer of the student and responsibility, per my assessment.

To Ardell's point, extenuating circumstances must exist such as a lack of curriculum in the home/resident district (e.g. Internet Academy or Skills Center per the reference below).
Excerpt 1:
"I would refer you to Bulletin #009-09 which outlines OSPI’s guidance on “Choice” and “Inter-District” agreements. The link to this bulletin is here: http://www.k12.wa.us/BulletinsMemos/bulletins2009/B009-09.doc.

In most cases, a resident district will release under a “Choice” agreement a student 100% to attend another school district. And provided that there is available space at the “Choice” school, the new district would sign off on the agreement."

Excerpt 2:
“A resident of a school district is eligible to enroll in the school provided that they are at least age of 5 and under the age of 21 at the beginning of the school year, and has not met the school district’s graduation requirement.

Students in most cases attend the school in the attendance area (i.e., the neighborhood school). Each school district should have established procedures for students wishing to transfer to another school within the school district or to transfer to another school district.”
Ardell Della…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Thu Jan 3, 2013
That is an excellent question and I am 99% sure the answer is no unless there is some highly unusual special needs issue. But do come back and tell us if you find out otherwise. I do know when my children were in school and I would drive their friends home, some lived out of the district. Many even. I was very surprised. But turned out it was because they were just fibbing about where they lived and using a relative's address.