Can I transfer my children to a another school within our district? I want to purchase a home beyond our current high school range.

Asked by Tricia, South Central, Salem, OR Thu Mar 25, 2010

Answers

5
Dirk Knudsen, Agent, Hillsboro, OR
Tue Mar 11, 2014
They will almost always say no! There is a possible solution that has to do with the curriculum and knowing the No Child left behind laws. I am here to advise as needed. Best wishes Tricia!
Craig Loughr…, , Oregon
Fri Mar 26, 2010
The best place to start is to call the Salem-Keizer Schools district office and confirm the current policy and procedures for attending a school in a different "attendance area" within the Salem-Keizer district. A different "district" would be one like the Gervais School District, the Silver Falls School District, or the North Santiam School District. "Attendance areas" are for individual schools within the same district (e.g., McNary HS attendance area, Parrish MS attendance area, etc.).

Salem-Keizer calls attending a Salem-Keizer school outside of the student's assigned attendance area an "in-district transfer," and has some information (with a publication date of June 2003) on the district's web site: http://www.salkeiz.k12.or.us/search/apachesolr_search/indist…

Because at this point you are only contemplating an in-district transfer, and the in-district transfer would NOT be from your current attendance area, it's likely that the district will ask you to initiate your written request through the principal's office of the school where your new home would be located. Again, you should confirm this by calling the district office: 503-399-3000.

Like Melina (below), my past experience is that the S-K district is accommodating when it can be. For example, I have one former client who lives in east Salem in the attendance area for McKay High School, but the district allows the daughter to attend South Salem High. The drawback, of course, is that the family has to find their own transportation for the daughter, which is more costly than taking the local school bus. For your student, it would also be more time-consuming if he/she weren't able to drive.
Dirk Knudsen, Agent, Hillsboro, OR
Thu Mar 25, 2010
All schools pretty much are failing under the No Child Left behind. You have a right to transfer within your district. Also find a course that is offered at the school you want and insist that your child has to have that course and they will have no choice but to allow you to transfer.

Good luck with this.

Dirk
Web Reference:  http://www.theknudsen.com
Melina Tomson, Agent, Salem, OR
Thu Mar 25, 2010
Oops...forgot. I strongly encourage you to go and talk to the principal of the school that you want your child to attend. They will let you know what you need to do for the transfer and whether or not it is realistic.
Melina Tomson, Agent, Salem, OR
Thu Mar 25, 2010
You can request a transfer to another school, but they don't have to grant the request. For example, if your child is currently attending South, but you are moving into North Salem school district, then you can request a transfer for them to stay at South.

It has been my experience with my clients that SK school district is fairly accommodating when the child is already attending the school. If the child hasn't started school there yet, then it gets pretty dicey.
Web Reference:  http://www.tomsonburnham.com