Can I petition to have my child go to a different public school?

Asked by , Mon Jul 16, 2007

Taxes are OUTRAGEOUS in Westchester NY in towns with decent school systems. Can I petition for my child to go to another public school (maybe one within less than a 1/2 mile from the one assigned to me) if it is dramatically better?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Artur Urbans…, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Mon Jul 16, 2007
Hi, in California, you definitely can. You apply in the appropriate school district. The district should be able to telll you what the chances are. We have a lottery to fill spots if there is more applicants than "slots" in a particular school. Call your district.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Aug 10, 2008

In NYS, changing schools will not decrease your taxes. The only way to accomplish this is to move physically to a different district with a lower tax rate.

If you retain your current place of residence and send your child to another school you risk the likelyhood of paying school taxes on the property where you live plus tuition for the new school.

Do look into NCLB regulations. Also do not hesitate to contact the New York State Department of Education for a clarification if necessary.

Good luck,
The "Eckler Team"

Michael Saunders & Company
0 votes
Egen Warner…, Agent, New Rochelle, NY
Sun Aug 10, 2008
The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (Public Law 107-110). Look into the no child left behind act and see what procedures you can take in order to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more