Can I buy a second home/property just to be in the correct school zone that I want ?

Asked by Biltong13, 33572 Sun Mar 18, 2012

I live in the wrong zone of Apollo Beach to get my kid into Apollo Beach Elementary School (my zoned school is unacceptable). Is there any reason why I couldn't purchase a second property ... like a cheap foreclosure, in the required school zone, just to get my kid into the preferred school ?

Answers

6
Nadine Mauro, Agent, Lake Worth, FL
Sun Mar 18, 2012
Could it be done? Yes, I know others have done this.

Is it legally and ethically correct? You would have to defer to an attorney on this.

Good luck with your situation.

Nadine Mauro
Highlight Realty
561-414-0864
NadineSellsHouses@gmail.com
http://www.floridahouseseller.com
Benoit Mouzon, Agent, Bradenton, FL
Sat Sep 8, 2012
check the Hillsborough County School website. Generally you need an electric bill or something that shows current residency. In my opinion if you own it and not renting it out what would the problem be?
Christina, Home Buyer,
Wed Mar 21, 2012
When there are many issues in a school. in our area parents get together to form a petition and formaly bring the concerns to the school board meetings. the superintendant is always present at ours and if you have say 200 parents all complaining of the same few keys things or teacher they can't ignore it. if it affects that many. if its say a handful like 25 they may address it but you need to be persistent. This is your childs future. Thats not something i would give up on if it were my child.
Lead a team get everyones solid complaint in writing so you can present your findings. If you stay silent nothing will happen. Good luck!
Biltong13, Home Owner, 33572
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions. Moving home is definitely not an option that we would want to consider ... our neighborhood is amazing with a cook out almost every weekend, and several families with children that are all the same age (we are all having the same schooling dilemma as most of us have 4/5 year olds that will be starting Elementary in August). We could afford a private school, but the only ones nearby have religious backgrounds to the teaching and we are not religious as a family. We figured that over the school years, it would be cheaper to buy a $30k home in an unpleasant street, just to get our child in school rather than paying $15k a year plus gas money to go to a private school every year for the next 6 years. I have been advised that you can only do this if the second home becomes your primary residence ... but if we registered utilities, bank, etc .. to the second property ... how would anyone know which home we are choosing to live in ? For all the school boards know, my partner and I could have separated and be living in different homes ?!?!?
Why not try School choice options. Check to see if you can get a hardship to go to the school you would like.
Flag Sat Sep 8, 2012
Tonya Weaver, , Apollo Beach, FL
Mon Mar 19, 2012
One option, which you may have already considered, would be to sell your current property and buy a foreclosed property in your preferred area in Apollo Beach. If this is not possible, another suggestion would be to rent your current property and purchase a foreclosure as second property so that your child can go to the zoned school you desire. There are foreclosures on the market that are appealing. You may want to make sure that the foreclosure property becomes your primary and mailing address. When the child finishes school, you will have a choice of which property you will want to keep or you can continue to have multiple properties.
Antonio Vega…, Agent, Saint Cloud, FL
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Perhaps the better option is you can find a nice foreclosure in the prefered zone, where the schools are acceptable to you and move there, so that you can be close to your child in case of an emergency. You can rent your current home until they graduate and then return to it if you haven't fallen in love with the new location.

Tony Vega
Charles Rutenberg