Anyone care to comment?

Asked by Angelina, Duxbury, MA Wed Feb 1, 2012

? Born and raised in CA. I am going through my midlife crisis and want to move my family of 4 to Duxbury. Never been, just spoke with a resident of Duxbury while on the islands this past summer. I hate CA and want a different lifestyle but my husband is afraid of the cold winters. I want better public schools and told him we would get used to the winters in few years. Want to move NOW while my kids are still in elementary/primary school. How are the schools in Duxbury compared to say Newton or Weston? Is Duxbury a friendly, simple town where everybody knows everyone? Kids go fishing after school and etc. Low crime? This is my dream and I would move this year if I could sell my home here. Any suggestions anyone?

Answers

11
Louis B., Tr…, Home Owner, San Francisco, CA
Thu Feb 2, 2012
Hi A,

I grew up in Duxbury, moving out once I graduated high school. The schools are phenomenal, K–12, and although there's been an extremely recent uptick in residential break-ins, crime is relatively low. I can’t speak for Weston or Newton, but you can use Trulia to compare both schools and crime in different towns (click on "Duxbury Schools" or "Duxbury Community Info" under "Local Info" in the navigation above).

It is one of those "everybody knows everyone" towns (especially among children and parents while enrolled in school). If you haven't already, also take a look at the 2010 census info (link below) – it's not exactly very diverse.

As for the climate, winter in MA isn’t awesome, but it is certainly manageable. If you or your partner is commuting to the Boston area, there will be several days when working from home just seems like a better option. (Even if you have a SUV, driving in snowy, inclement weather can be tedious, but it's certainly manageable.) In my opinion – granted, I live in San Francisco, not exactly known for its balmy weather – the few days where it’s really blustery or stormy justify the absolutely wonderful summer days, when you’re just 10 minutes away from one of the nicer beaches south of Boston.

Louis B.
(Engineer at Trulia)
Barbara Scho…, Agent, Duxbury, MA
Thu Feb 2, 2012
Duxbury is exactly how you describe it. I have lived here for 18 years and both my kids have gone through the public schools. My suggestion, go to the state department of education website to look at schools statistics, take a tour of the new school on the Duxbury Schools websites and if you would like a photo tour of the town, call or email me: barbara.scholberg@nemoves.com, 781-223-3449.
Barbara
Jonathan Mark, Agent, Duxbury, MA
Thu Feb 2, 2012
There's no where else I'd want to live. My family has been here for 4 generations, and attended the public schools which are some of the best around. I can understand how the weather may be a concern, as I lived in FL for several years after school, and my wife is from southern Mississippi. The change was a little harder for her, because it was a completely new place, but now she loves it and understands why I wanted to move back the whole time I was in FL. We are two people that love the outdoors, and there's no shortage of places to explore here. There are miles of dog friendly wooded conservation trails, beautiful beaches, boating, fishing, history, a maritime/sailing school, community events and festivals, and skiing is less than 3 hours away. There is something new to do in every season. Also there's a newcomers club so you will be able to meet a number of new families doing the same as you are and be able to make new friends quickly. If you have any other community or real estate questions, please don't hesitate to call me at 781-733-7717. Thank you, Jonathan
Mike Caslin, Agent, Duxbury, MA
Wed Feb 1, 2012
Hello again, I'm not sure if my first answer was properly saved and conveyed. Here's the short version: Having lived in Duxbury and raising children here, I can't imagine being anyplace else. The town and people are wonderful, the community is vibrant & connected, and yet relaxed...the town offers commutability but also maintains that quaint seaside character to the east and that semi-rural feel to the west. Parents here are quite involved, and we will also be building a new middle & high school. Lots to tell...email or call me directly and Is be happy to share my experiences and perceptions :). Mike
Scott A. Nel…, , 02155
Wed Feb 1, 2012
I'm not from Duxbury but have had family live there & they love it. You can contact the school dept. there to find out detailed info and the police for crime statistics. http://www.town.duxbury.ma.us will give you the contact info. There are alot of great real estate professionals down there that can assist you with more details, neighborhood info etc.

Good luck in your search, hopefully you'll be there in time for the next cranberry harvest,
kenaigirl, Home Buyer, Moncks Corner, SC
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Duxbury is a very very snobby town Where your diamond ring dictates your status and the average vehicle is the suped up Super Mom SUV. The schools test well because everyone has tutors. It is a status driven town to the max. The nickname is "Duluxbury". Look around before you leap. The people are privelege and spoiled.
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Mon Feb 13, 2012
I suggest you come for a week this summer and visit the South Coast. You may find a town like Falmouth is more to your liking. You may love Duxbury. You may find the east coast different than you envisioned. Summer is not winter of course, but you can do some hands on research - and have fun.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Mike Caslin, Agent, Duxbury, MA
Thu Feb 2, 2012
Having an SUV in Duxbury is a good thing not only for navigating in winter, but it also allows you to drive onto the beach in summer! Regarding the weather, yes we do have some tough winters here at times, but this winter has been more or less nonexistent. There is no snow on the ground and we've had several days now in the 50's. I'll also add that although I don't care much for winter, my son says it's his favorite season. If kids are happy it makes us parents happy, right? Skiing, skating, and sledding are all popular here, and just going for a walk after a fresh snowfall is uniquely enjoyable. So get in gear and come join us in Duxbury...once here you won't want to leave:). Mike Caslin - Macdonald & Wood, Sothebys Int'l. Realty, mike.caslin@gmail.com. 781-864-5553
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Thu Feb 2, 2012
In general, MA cities and towns prize their public education systems. Without being a stick in the mud, Duxbury is not the be all/end all of new england living. There are plenty of nice towns along the shore north and south of Boston. Perhaps your next vacation should be spent on the mainland and exploring the area around Boston. See what you like and dont like.
As someone born, raised, and raising a family I can tell you that cold weather sux. The good thing is that spring is around the corner. Last year at this time we had close to 2 feet of frozen snow on the ground. yesterday it hit 60 degrees, today its 30s. Ahh to live in a warm climate.
Lynda Tobasco…, Agent, Andover, MA
Thu Feb 2, 2012
I know Duxbury is a beautiful town on the South Shore. Have you considered the North Shore of Boston? Andover & North Andover are beautiful, family freindly towns as well. Andover has a dept devoted to communtiy serivce. It has all the character and charm of what is New England. It is also located close to New Hampshire, Maine & Vermont. The schools are great here as well. If you want info on schools go to http://www.greatschools.com that is a school website for parents to submit reviews of the schools. If you would like more info on Andover try the town website http://WWW.andoverma.gov. They have great info on the town there.

Good luck if you would like to know more from a resident and realtor give me a call 978-973-0210
Lynda
Mike Caslin, Agent, Duxbury, MA
Wed Feb 1, 2012
Hello from Duxbury! I'm not sure there's a