Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Tech Tips in Sausalito : Real Estate Advice

  • All47
  • Local Info11
  • Home Buying11
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 1
Sun Feb 24, 2008
Patrick Ritter answered:
Depending on where you live in Marin, there may be local requirements governing drainage from new construction. For example, in certain hillside areas, for new construction an upstream owner must prevent any increase in the one hundred year storm runoff, usually accomplished by construction of temporary storage facilities to reduce the peak discharge. Local codes usually follow basic California and case law regarding water rights. Typically downstream owners must accept the runoff flowing in natural channels, including peak storms. However, if an upstream owner has diverted stormwater from another water course, you may have some recourse for downstream damage. The first thing is to assess the nature of any upstream changes (if any). As a civil engineer and real estate broker, I've evaluated a lot of stormwater issues in the Bay Area, so email me with any specific questions.

Patrick Ritter, P.E.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Tech Tips in Sausalito Zip Codes