Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

General Area in San Jose : Real Estate Advice

  • All2K
  • Local Info143
  • Home Buying874
  • Home Selling128
  • Market Conditions32

Activity 86
Mon Mar 22, 2010
Russell Benson answered:
I think you have to consult with the landlord/tenant laws in your state but since I am a landlord also, I would be hard pressed to return the deposit (me personally, my homes) but you have to do what you think is right and best but as agents we must all follow the law to the letter so the same should apply for landlords and renters. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 20, 2010
Sam Shueh answered:
The valuation of the home is based on county recorder office on gross living area in sf.
If the home is larger than next door with identical plan chances are the permit sf is included.

Most likely it is not the case even you have an electrical or mechanical permit sometimes in the past.
If sf is included it entitles a greater $ value than next door with a garage.

However, if it is converted without a recorded sf , you may have problem with the lender. In lieu of asking for a price reduction tell seller that you can not get loan approved unless they will help you to adjust the price.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 14, 2010
Karen Parsons Fiddler answered:

Those FICO scores aren't awful and if you have verified his job and he's paying his other bills on time. Then.....I think you are doing all the right things to check this person's worthiness. Great job.

... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 28, 2010
Arn Cenedella answered:
I file my rentals on a Schedule E but check with your tax advisor.
If you do not have one, I recommend Dorothy Kather at 650 960-1520 or
Good luck.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 18, 2010
Rosie answered:
Veridian is the townhome complex by Warmington, each three stories tall. The condo's are close by, but again, I can't remember the name. Hope you were able to check it out the area and the shopping too.

... more
1 vote 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 8, 2010
Andrea Wince ~ Lic. 01439761 answered:
A lot of tenant information is limited due to privacy laws and if you secure the unlimited information you are required to show that you keep their information in locked file cabinets in a locked room, etc. I use National Tenant Network but you have to pay subscription fees depending on the services you choose. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 26, 2010
CJ Brasiel answered:
Dede -

With any purchase you will receive a natural hazards disclosure report.
In my past experience, it has been difficult to exactly located the super fund sites. No online map indicates exactly where they are located. It is of special concern you can simply ask the question in writing and have them document that there is no knowledge of the property being built on a super fund site.

... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Rosie answered:
Hello First Time,

With your price range, you may want to consider a condo as mentioned below. There are a couple that I know of which are within your price range in San Jose. Another location you may want to consider is the Berryessa area. There are many single family homes available, and if you qualify, you could get into a bank owned property pretty quickly. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Nov 15, 2009
Jorge E. Gosalvez answered:
In California you must either be a Broker or work for a broker who allows you to perform property management in order to manage other people's properties, collect rent etc.

You or your Broker must also have a trust account.

There is much more; like new rules coming up with tax withholding effective January 2010. It is not just as easy as to collect rent, and get paid.

I suggest that the broker is a member of Tri-county apartment association, NARPM or equivalent organizations in your area.

Keep up with your education so that you know how to handle situations.

We have been managing our own properties for almost 30 years, and in the past 4 to 5 years we have started helping our clients with property management.

We would be happy to talk & share our experiences with you, as well as to help your clients with their property management needs.

Jorge E. Gosálvez
Broker Associate, GRI, SRES | DRE: 00811940
Serving Clients Since 1981
INTERO Real Estate Services
Gteam Rentals
10275 N. De Anza Blvd. | Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 249-3718 Direct | (408) 904-5465 Fax | |
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 16, 2009
Norman Alessandrini answered:
Hi Dee,
I don't know how to do it on trulia I did not see a place to put in map #s to narrow it down, but if you would like go to my web site ( see below ) and you can narrow it down if you know what the map #s are and if you don't just let me know what your looking for and I can put in the search for you with the map #s to narrow down your searchs so you would get the hays area.
P.S. That is a wonderful area, I live right next to the Hays Mansion. :)

DRE# 01397256
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Sep 9, 2009
Amol Heda answered:
Hi Hnv1981,

The Property is already Pending No Show, so you might need to check if you can even offer on the property.

While this opinion should only be taken in context of the local market conditions and the prevailing market activity in the neighborhood. You can also see the approximate +/-10% on Zillow and many other sites. I can add just to the bare value given by one of these sites.

But for starters the recent sold data indicates about 335K in price for an average property of about 1648 sq. ft. in the neighborhood. It is now taking lesser number of days to sell a property in the neighborhood for a correctly priced property.

Contact an experienced professional who will be able to help you with:

Valuing the property,
Price, Mortgage and terms on the property,
with affordability,
Your ability to finance the property and walk you through the closing,
Support during and after a transaction where complexities can kill a purchase,
Selection of service providers,
Local intricacies and significant price directions.

I hope this helps,

Amol Heda,
Realtor MBA
DRE #: 01330948
Century 21 El Camino,
761, E. El Camino Real,
Sunnyvale, CA, 94087.
Cell: 408-307-9465
Fax: 408-228-8985
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon May 11, 2009
Joanna Bateman answered:
Check with the police department and newspapers. Some times the neighbors are helpful too!
Good luck with your search.

Joanna Bateman (dre 01792532
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 20, 2009
Emmanuel Scanlan answered:
Hello Daniel,

Generally speaking (using the International Residential Code, IRC) any water heater that is installed in a location where dripping or leaking can cause damage should be mounted in a galvanized steel drain pan. The drain pan should have a drain line that extends to/over a floor drain or other approved drain. It can also be routed to the outdoor area and drain there as long as it will not cause damage. You can access a free online version of the IRC at

The San Jose City Ordinances can be found at:

San Jose has adopted the 2007 version of the California Plumbing Code, of which I do not have access to. I would ask your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ, the building officials) if your area or California has made any amendments to these codes. As a general rule the IRC's are the minimum that should be followed and the ICC does condone using more strict requirements but not less strict requirements.

A specific answer to your question would require knowing if your condo unit had been built at the time that building codes were in use. Also you would need to know if your condo pre-dated the codes then was the water heater ever replaced at a time that codes were in enforcement.

Emmanuel J. Scanlan
PS Inspection & Property Services LLC
214-418-4366 (cell)
TREC License # 7593
International Code Council, Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Third Party Warranty Inspector #1593
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Inspector, County Inspection Program
Texas Department Of Insurance, VIP Inspector # 08507061016
Hayman Residential Engineering Services, Field Technician
CMC Energy - Certified Energy Auditor

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 9, 2009
David Craig answered:
Hi Daniel,

A home seller has an obligation to disclose neighborhood noise problems or other nuisances to a prospective buyer. The seller's tenants, on the other hand, have no obligation or duty to you, as a buyer. If the seller was aware of problems with a neighbor, he/she should have disclosed that fact to you within the time specified in your purchase agreement (in the Real Estate Transfer Disclosure Statement). If the seller failed to make the disclosure and you only found out about the problem after escrow had closed, you may have recourse through the courts. Is it possible that the seller was unaware of the problem? I suggest you contact a real estate attorney.

Sometimes "neighborhood problems" are difficult to define. What might be a problem to you might not be to someone else. Let's say that a neighbor practices her guitar playing several afternoons a week. This might not pose a problem for an owner who is away at work or who enjoys listening to the music. If you are a day sleeper or just hate guitar, this could be a big problem for you. In any event, the first course of action should be to try to resolve the problem with the neighbors involved.

I'm a little confused by your question. You mentioned "old tenants" and "neighbors upstairs" but said you were purchasing a house. Can you clarify?
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 20, 2009
Erica Glessing answered:
This is actually considered within the community of Berryessa, it's Berryessa Union School District for elementary and middle school. The nice thing about this area is how close it is to everything. You can pop on 101, 680 or 880 with no fuss at all.

I live in nearby 95132, in a stronger high school neighborhood (near Hostetter/Piedmont) and when you go up into the hills the schools have higher test scores. However, the two elementaries in 95131 have decent test scores (if that is your measurement of choice) with Brooktree Elementary at 806 API and Vinci Park at 815. If you go up Hostetter to Piedmont, Ruskin API score was 903 last year, comparatively.

At you can compare schools by demographics, test scores, parent ratings, and more. Ruskin rates the highest of these (but that is 95132).

In 94086, Braly Elementary scored 828 last year, and Ponderosa 858. Ponderosa Elementary School is very highly regarded for its sense of community. It's in a great location near parks and the parent community is very active. Peterson Middle School is a great middle school! However, Wilcox High School has had some test score drops despite being a campus that feels pretty good from a kids' perspective. It is now not regarded crazy highly even though Santa Clara Unified works hard to have good results.

Sunnyvale property values are stronger than 95131, as far as weathering our current downturn. It is hard to say what will happen in the future. The demographics are also different, and you can find out more about that at

The areas feel pretty different if you look at the community overall.

If you are open to 95132, the Ruskin/Sierramont/Piedmont Hills combo is great for schools and low crime. If you like 95131 for its easier commute and proximity to everything, you do give up some high school and property value quality. Yet my clients who like 95131 really like it for how easy it is to get things done.

Berryessa and Sunnyvale are very different in community climate. I live in Berryessa yet almost all of my listings the last two years have been in Sunnyvale (including a home I am selling now in 94087). So I see the differences almost daily!

I hope this helps!

Erica Nelson
Education specialist/mentor realtor
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Dec 22, 2008
Andrew answered:
I am conservative so I would most likely buy the four-plex. The benefit to buying the four-plex would is safety. If you have the cash for the four-plex you can get a nice few thousand dollars in income, and not be at too much risk if the economy keeps getting worse. It is less risk because you don't have to worry about making the mortgage payment when times get tough.

If you were someone who thinks the economy was about to get better, then the apartment complex would probably be a better bet. It has more upside potential in the very long run.

It also depends on your time frame. If you are going to keep it for ten years, then I would go for the four-plex. If you were going to keep it for 30 years, then I would buy the apartment complex.

I like to error on the conservative side and always have positive cash flow. Given where the economy is headed I would buy the four-plex.

Good Luck Betty,
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 19, 2008
Walter 'Skip' Kersten answered:
Hi Victoria
There are a number of high end communities in Yorba Linda CA (the city adjacent to Brea) . These homes are 2-3 years old. The square footage can range from 4,000 sq ft and up. Prices will range from $1.5 million to $4 million. I am not sure high end you are considering. It is the place to live if you are working in Brea. My office is just down the street from these homes. I would be happy to email you some properties if you let me know what you are looking for. You can email me at
Good luck,
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 12, 2008
Mary Pope-Handy answered:
Cambrian Park is actually a much larger area than most of these responses would indicate. It includes all of the 95124 and 95118 zip codes plus a little of 95008.

It's the region bordered by Los Gatos, Campbell, Willow Glen, Blossom Valley and Almaden Valley.

If you'd like to see a map with the rough boundaries, please see the link below.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 26, 2008
Amir Shahkarami answered:
You get what you pay for. Most new homes are priced higher than the equivilant existing home.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 17, 2008
Michael Roberts answered:
Hi Jdurand, This area of Blossom Valley has shown to be all over the map, so to speak. There are a number of recent sales that have closed for over the asking price and otheres that just won't sell. Why?
Short Sales!

There is one property available for $279K that is a REO (bank owned property) which means you will likely have a good chance that an offer will be responded to in a timely manner compared to the short sale offerings..

What will be of most value to you is to have your Realtor educate you to the specifics attached to bank owned properties and the strategies required to get their attention. This is usually successful when the Realtor has a clear understanding of how banks formulate their asking price and what there motivating factors are. Due diligence is the key to success here.

... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5
Search Advice