Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Insurance in San Francisco County : Real Estate Advice

  • All139
  • Local Info9
  • Home Buying69
  • Home Selling5
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 14
Thu Mar 9, 2017
Rioriodude asked:
Thu Apr 9, 2015
Lucy Logvinova answered:
Master HOA policy will never cover your unit inside (finishes, kitchen, fixtures) that's why HO-6 wall to wall coverage is required by lenders. In addition you have the liability and personal property coverage. You can't buy renters policy for the unit you own. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 24, 2015
Jackson Willis answered:
It can be really difficult sometimes to get this kind of thing figured out. You should check any insurance documents that you have. If you can't find the information there, you should talk to your insurance agent. With that help you should be able to figure out if this damage is covered. If it's not you're probably going to need to find a good company to help you put a new fence in place of the old one, or just to repair it if that's all it needs.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 19, 2013
Eileen Bermingham answered:
Hi Katherine--Your question is one of the most commonly asked in San Francisco real estate circles. As a result, I wrote a blog post that I run on a regular basis, just to keep buyers & sellers on the most current thinking about earthquake insurance:

Should You Buy Earthquake Insurance?

... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 6, 2013
John Arendsen answered:
Wish I could help you but I'm a San Diego based Manufactured Home dealer, real estate broker and contractor. Don't think I'd be able to help you much in Texas albeit I love your State.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Feb 22, 2013 answered:
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 3, 2012
Lucy Logvinova answered:
It's part of your lender requirements and your agreement with the bank. If you do not have insurance bank will impose one which is typically more expensive.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 17, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
I have seen flooring for as little as .99 per square foot,
but you know what they say about getting what you pay for.

If you hit a medium, you would pay about $3 sqft and you can probably add $2-$3 for installation.

We got PERGO in our last house and we loved it; it was easy to keep clean, didn't dent, and showed no wear after 4 years. I highly recommend.
The story goes that Europeans would put Pergo in their rental, and take it with them when they moved.
... more
1 vote 6 answers Share Flag
Fri May 25, 2012
Donald Stevens answered:
We would love to compete for your business. We work with a lot of real estate agents and property managers. Give us a try, we will work hard to win your business.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 16, 2011
Rudi Hofmann answered:
If you don't have anything of value inside your condo it's not worth it. You may be surprised how little it cost per year.

Happy funding, Rudi
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed May 4, 2011
Amy Lee answered:
License: 01789891 is a good web site to start with. You can find other useful info.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun May 16, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
For a clear and accurate estimate of cost, contact any local insurance companies and ask for estimates--a lot will depend on location, size of property, personal valuables, etc.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Dec 14, 2007
Don Tepper answered:
As Gail advised, if you're a homeowner, you should have homeowner's insurance, not renters (or content) insurance. There are a variety of additional liabilities you're exposed to/responsible for, and you need coverage for that.

Water leaks (and electrical problems, too) can be tricky in condos. Note: I'm not a lawyer, and as a Realtor I can't provide legal advice. However, as a former condo owner who successfully sued the HOA when it failed to cover a repair, I do have some first-hand experience. First, your condo documents specify what will be covered by the HOA and what is your responsibility. It can vary. Generally, as Sally notes, you're responsible for anything/everything within the walls of your specific unit. Generally, again, the condo association is responsible for anything occurring in the common elements, which usually includes anything within the walls...even if it exclusively serves your unit. That was the problem I had; it was an electrical problem in the main circuit breaker box (clearly a common element); however, the circuit breaker that failed exclusively provided power to my unit. Condo refused to pay; I sued in small claims court arguing that the circuit breaker and circuit breaker box were common elements and should be maintained by the association. I won.

Water damage can get even tricker, since sometimes one owner leaves the water running; it overflows, goes through the floor to the unit below, and damages that unit. Again, I'm not a lawyer. Generally, though, the individual owner who left the water running is liable; although the water may have passed through the common elements on its way to your unit, the condo association isn't responsible.

OK, enough of that. you get the idea. Read the condo documents. Have homeowner's insurance. Also, not suggested by the others, get yourself an umbrella liability policy. It may cost $150-$200 for $1 million. It'll cover both your condo and your car (if written properly). And it's well worth it. Suppose, for instance, the condo is having the windows cleaned. The window cleaner is injured, sues for $5 million, and wins. Your condo association may not have the reserves to cover it. Worse: The window cleaner is cleaning your window when he falls. He sues you and the association for $5 million. The condo association has its own insurance, but you're named, as well. You want your own coverage. Or a planter on your balcony is blown off by the wind and injures someone on the ground below. You're sued. There are an infinite number of variations. Point is: Get at least $1 million of liability insurance.

Hope that helps.

Don Tepper
Solutions 3D LLC
Realtor with Long & Foster
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 9, 2007
Artur Urbanski answered:
Hi Patrick,
There are many factors as Ute mentioned, but you can use multiply the house price by 0.002% and than divide it by 12. It will give you a rough estimate of your monthly cost. So for the $1.2 M house you will be paying plus/minus $200 a month. ... more
2 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Home Insurance in Popular Cities in San Francisco County