Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in San Francisco : Real Estate Advice

  • All2K
  • Local Info253
  • Home Buying995
  • Home Selling136
  • Market Conditions82

Activity 142
Thu Jun 1, 2017
Phillipnihau answered:
can another tanent charge another tanent money to keep hallways and lanai clean
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed May 17, 2017
Chris LaPee answered:
I am an attorney in Missouri and consequently not licensed in the state of New York. However, it appears your question revolves around basic contract law and the Fair Housing Act.

You may have a cause of action for breach of contract if the extended the offer to you unconditionally. What I mean is if they informed you they had completed their due diligence and the basic terms had been agreed to and all that was left was signing the written lease agreement by you and your roommates (lessees), and an agent of the lessor. Typically, it is only necessary for leases to be in writing if the term is a year or more.

The next issue is why you require an emotional support animal. If it is because of a condition that is considered a disability (defined by the FHA as a condition which impairs a major life activity) and there is proof that was the fsctor used to deny you housing, it is possible the lessor violated the FHA. The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is authorized to receive and investigate complaints of discrimination in the lease or sale of property due to a consumer's disability. Moreover, I am sure New York has a state agency with similar authority.

IF the lessor had indicated you all met their criteria for leasing, I would advise submitting complaints to HUD and the New York housing authority. It probably isn't worth your time and headache of suing them to enforce the contract. You probably don't want to live there anyway.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 17, 2017
Maricris A answered:

Please note that you can advertise on Trulia for free!

If you would like to post a rental on Trulia, you will be redirected to use our partner site, Zillow Rental Manager, to list your rental on Zillow, Trulia and other top sites. Please follow this link for instructions on how to post a rental listing:

If you have additional questions or have issues with posting your listing, please reply back to this email and I will be happy to help you.

Zillow Rental Manger Help:


Consumer Care Advocate
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Nov 2, 2016
Dommerritt asked:
Fri Sep 2, 2016
Angelica P answered:

Currently, the Services are limited to residential real estate. You may not use the Services to advertise commercial real estate, which includes, without limitation, commercially zoned properties, timeshares, and vacation rentals.

For future reference, you can feel free to contact us about this type of inquiry through our contact form here:

Thank you for using Trulia!

Consumer Care Advocate
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Aug 19, 2016
Rich Reed answered:
Regrettably, contact paper in kitchen cupboards are not a habitability requirement in California, not even in San Francisco.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Aug 17, 2016
Lewis George answered:
Wed Aug 3, 2016
Hamiltonsam12 answered:
I haven’t used this service so far, but I’ve heard my friend talking about it. As I understand they don’t charge application fees and offer you the opportunity to sing the agreement online. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jul 27, 2016
June Buerkle answered:

Is pretty good and they are absolutely free. (You don't even have to enter a credit card number to register)
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 3, 2016
Ryan Rudnick answered:
This all depends on the lease contract you have with your roommate, if any. Your best bet would be to contact the local rent board or a real estate attorney to look it over and determine what the best course of action is, but in general, non paying tenants can probably be evicted if need be. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 29, 2015
Robert J. RAPP answered:
Hi Sssuejohn,

A walk-thru is the most common procedure - both at the beginning and end of your lease. With how competitive the rental market has become, most landlords likely wouldn't even give you the chance to have a full on inspection when they have scores of other tenants who are willing to sign the lease ASAP.

Always worth a try, though.

Robert J. Rapp
Just Sold | 66 Rossi Avenue, San Francisco $3,300,000
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 21, 2015
Ryan Rudnick answered:
I agree with the answers below - you'll need to speak to an accountant to determine if that's possible. I'd be happy to recommend one if you'd like.

Good luck!
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 13, 2015
Ryan Rudnick answered:
From what I understand, Cynthia is correct, and I'd also like to point out that I'm not an attorney so I don't know for sure. I'd be happy to recommend one for you if you'd like, but it sounds like you're trying to avoid those costs.

San Francisco tends to side with tenants when it comes to move outs and other tenant-landlord disputes, and tenant protections are very strong. Evictions are a possibility in some cases, but, as you mentioned, they can be expensive. I don't believe an agreement with the tenant ahead of time would necessarily be legal, and I'd definitely recommend contacting an attorney to find out your best option here. Maybe an attorney could help you work out options like short term rentals following the new laws regarding AirBnB and other sites like it, or find a way to write up a contract that works for your time frame.

Best of luck to you, and let me know if I can do anything else to help!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 9, 2015
ronaldswanson55 answered:
Although it would be nice to be able to go through this without any legal action, I don't think that is possible. You will get more money that you will need for your medical bills, and for lost wages if you go to an attorney. If you are dead set on not taking any legal action I would at least get your landlord to sign a contract about not owing any rent for two months, but I would do more than just two months if I were you. ... more
0 votes 27 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 6, 2015
Ryan Rudnick answered:
Please report any scams you find! Unfortunately they're common on sites like this one, and you're right to think that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Good luck,
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 8, 2015
Hi Shah & Joi,
I hope it worked out for your family as you wanted it to. Also hope your Dad won!
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jan 8, 2015
Hi Rondy,
If you're living in S.F. now, then you must understand how expensive it is to rent? You offered no details to help guide you.
It would seem obvious:
1> you need lots of income.
2> you need a place that accepts small pets.
3> you need to know if you will be solo or with roommates.
4> you need to know what area you like, and if there is anything there you can afford.
5> you would want insurance.
6> you don't want to be paranoid, or too trusting of people who don't deserve it.

Good luck.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search Advice