Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Saint Paul : Real Estate Advice

  • All175
  • Local Info27
  • Home Buying66
  • Home Selling9
  • Market Conditions5

Activity 8
Thu Dec 5, 2013
Don Tepper answered:
Most likely: Yes. They can ask. Well, in fact, we know they can ask. Your question seems to be whether they can ask on a site that may not be secure. Probably yes.

You can decline to provide that information online, as you did. And they can decline to accept you.

And more specifically: How did you plan on sending that information? By mail? Fax? Are those any more secure? Not necessarily. And that only protects the transmission. Once your information arrives--whether by a web form, mail, or fax--you have no control over how the recipient will handle or protect it.

I'm guessing that they have a way of doing business, of processing applications. You're asking for an exception, a different way of handling that. At the very least, you've disrupted their process. At worst, you've pegged yourself (in their eyes) as a trouble-maker--someone who's starting raising issues even before the application's been approved.

Understand: I appreciate your concern. It's not out of line. But they have their way of processing applications, and you've decided to seek another way. There's a risk to that.

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 5, 2012
Cameron Piper answered:
In MN, where the question was posted. Giving notice of one month means that you have to give notice the day before the last day of the previous month. In other words, you need to give the landlord a full month, plus one day. From what I read here, it sounds like you gave your notice too late.

Cameron Piper
Coldwell Banker Burnet
licensed MN Broker
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 24, 2012
Steve Vennemann answered:
I would seek legal advice sounds like you have to problems 1 the company the other the tenant.
You can go after the tenant not sure about the Management company. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 13, 2011
Patrick Howard answered:

I can't see why you would be responsible for returning any of the security deposit if they did more damage then the amount of the security deposit -even if the notification wasn't received by the previous tenants within 21 days.

As others have stated, I'm not an attorney but if it were me I would send them a notification in writing now detailing exactly what the damages are and how much it will cost to fix them. I would include copies of any invoices and estimates of repairs demanding immediate payment or that I'll need to take them to small claims court.

Past experience tells me that they most likely won't pay me so I would need to file a claim with conciliation court and let the judge sort everything out.

Check out the Landlord Tenant Rights and Responsibilities information on the Minnesota Attorney General's website.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 1, 2010
Don Tepper answered:
As the others advise, check with a lawyer. I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice. But based on my experiences in other areas, you might or might not have a binding contract. (For instance, although no money has changed hands, you have received "consideration"--a lease that does have value and a promise to pay.)

So there are all sorts of questions involved: Is actual payment required? Under what conditions may you cancel the lease? Are there contingencies in the lease that you could invoke? What sort of landlord-tenant regulations might protect your would-be tenant (or, possibly, you)?

Check with a lawyer.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 11, 2010
Jacqueline Knauf answered:
A great source for free legal advice for tenants in Minnesota is the HOME Line. If you call them, they will explain applicable laws and your legal options.

Jacqueline Miller
RE/MAX Results ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 21, 2009
Dallas Texas answered:
No one can make a statement on behalf of any party unless all executed documents are reviewed . Have you contacted property manager interview them of their standards? Or your Realtor who assisted in securing the property?

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter:
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice