Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Sacramento : Real Estate Advice

  • All1K
  • Local Info161
  • Home Buying675
  • Home Selling79
  • Market Conditions82

Activity 37
Wed May 17, 2017
Eboney027 answered:
so I need rental references and I just don't have that information.... How do I get old landlord's contact information with only the address...
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Wed May 3, 2017
Brandnu1908 answered:
My currently landlord of almost 3 years and been through 3 management companies. All 3 were terrible by the way., has been telling us lies and I'm not sure what to do. With the second management company we got the ok to move out on two different occasions. We were told give 30 days notice, keys and address. That response came via email. The job in Dallas didn't happen so we decided to stay. And to our understanding per the manager over the phone, was under month to month. So fast fwd to a few weeks ago we go looking for a new place because nothing is being fixed and we've just had it. We apply to a new place (thinking we're month to month because we had the clear to go with the 2nd mgt company) planned to give our 30 days notice which was confirmed via email from 2nd mgt and then by phone with our current mgt company. We called to double check on our standing BEFORE applying anywhere else. The rep said yes you're month to month. Give 30 days notice. So we then applied for the new place. The new place calls our current place for a reference an tell them that we ARE CLEAR TO MOVE AND IN GOOD STANDING. So next day we got approved. Few days later they call saying it's 60 days WRITTEN notice so us calling like fools doesn't count. And we will not get our deposit back because they say we're breaking the lease. The lease states it will renew yearly unless specified. Which we did and got clearance from the 2nd mgt company and our current one that lied to us when we double checked and new future company telling them we were good to go. Now because of the lies and bad business we are in two agreements. If they never told the new place we applied to or us that we were clear then this wouldn't be a current situation. I would have never even applied to the new place if they disclosed the right information!
Can anyway help
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 12, 2017
Rwuhawks04 answered:
Hi Betty, tenants always get f*cked over, get with the program or buy a house. never trust a landlord, ever.
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 9, 2017
Courtnee Norton asked:
I have been with the same rental company for about two years now. In the time I have been with them, I have lived in two different units. While I was staying in the first unit, I had someone…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 28, 2017
Lauren E Jones answered:
Usually it takes 60 days to show. But it's always best to pay it so you don't end up in bad areas.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Nov 20, 2016
Derek Jones answered:
An address would be needed to give you a more accurate answer. 95822 is a pretty big zip code.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Nov 11, 2016
Tracycruz2006 asked:
it was an illegal eviction and will fight it but meantime we need to relocate to citrus heights is there anyone who can help
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 1, 2016
Derek Jones answered:
You can go down to our local sacramento county assessor's office and request the home owners based on address. I think you may be able to call and get the info as well.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 1, 2016
Derek Jones answered:
That's something that would be in a rental agreement. I suggest you get with the landlord put together a rental agreement that outlines garbage. Seems odd you would be responsible for it. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Apr 2, 2016
Melanie Abeyta answered:
Will i still be eligible to rent a apartment if my current landlord does not answer his phone to me or the company im trying to rent with?
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 30, 2016
Karen Peyton answered:
See an attorney.

The most important question about your situation is whether or not you feel yourself in danger? If so, it is my opinion, your lease should have no bearing on your safety and you should move.

If your safety is not an issue, I would (again my opinion) start a log of complaints with your landlord, alerting him or her of the difficulty you are having. It may be easier to be "relieved" of your lease obligation if your situation cannot be resolved.

Since the obligation of your lease may be an issue, it would be wise to find a home and purchase "now" before having to deal with a landlord/tenant dispute should one occur.

Consulting an attorney regarding your rights and responsibilities of your lease agreement and the extent of potential "fall out" is your best bet for clear direction.

Good luck!
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Mar 17, 2016
Dkreads answered:
Try looking for smaller properties that are owned by individuals instead of corporations. They will have more flexibility and won't have denials because standard policy from property managers who can't override it.

I would offer to have your wages garnished for rent, re convenience and security for the landlord that no matter how rough your financial straits get, as long as you're working the rent gets paid first. This would be especially attractive for small landlords because they don't have to wait/worry about "the check is in the mail"

A higher deposit is illegal in many areas, I know in my state if it's more than 2 months rent then the tenant is allowed to take the landlord to court for 3x the difference.
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Sep 3, 2014
Dan Tabit answered:
If you are comfortable with month to month, do nothing. If you want the security of a new lease, ask. The new lease could come with a rent adjustment, so be aware that is a possibility. If you stay month to month, the landlord can also give you notice and ask you to move out. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat May 24, 2014
Dan Tabit answered:
If the issues you are concerned with rise to a certain level, you may be able to void your lease and move right away. Consult the California Landlord Tenant Law. I've attached a link below.
If these issues are not adequate to give you that right, be more selective in your next rental. Work promised should be complete before you move in.
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Oct 30, 2013
Jaime Becker answered:
Hi Frankie

Another good way to find rentals is to drive around the area you want to live in and just call the numbers on the sign. Sometimes when asking on this site you may not get a response unless you go directly to the property managers site. The best thing to do is to call though. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jun 24, 2013
Jaime Becker answered:
I would check with an attorney. Sometimes all it takes is contacting the company and letting them know that you were not on the lease. The rules may differ state to state.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sat May 11, 2013
Jim Walker answered:
I disagree with the first three answers and agree with the question poster. It does vary by geographical area. I think we might find that Manhattan dwellers sometimes pay a fee to find housing. Let's get a New Yorker to answer that question.

Yes the usual situation is that renters in Sacramento come unrepresented. If you buy a house, you have the choice to have an agent that represents you, but is paid by the seller

If you want an agent to represent you (instead of one that works exclusively for the landlord) to find and negotiate a residential rental, you will likely have to pay for that yourself.

Because very few rental house hunters want to pay for this service, very few practitioners offer it. If available rental homes become scarce for an extended period of time, more agents would begin to offer a tenant paid service.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 8, 2012
Cassie answered:
what is the going rate for rent and deposit 2845 east 118th ct Thorton,co 80233?
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice