Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Riverview : Real Estate Advice

  • All199
  • Local Info18
  • Home Buying71
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions8

Activity 2
Mon Dec 1, 2014
daisyyong answered:
The leasee owes me two months back rent from when my check book was stolen and I closed my accounts. Tenants remained in the property but now they have departed and it is time to settle the security deposit. They owe me more than I owe them, for it was two months lost rent checks and interior wall damage well over their deposit of appropriate one and a half month rent.

I manage under 5 properties.

Does the law require I email or certified a letter to inform them of why I don''t owe them any amount from the security, that they actually owe me, but I will just call that a wash? They are aware of what, where, when and why via multiple past emails between my tenants and myself.

Currently, they are insisting that I need to send them a certified letter, from a technical standpoint attempting to outwit what is the right thing to do-rent a house, pay the rent. Tear off an attached shelf off the walls and place stickers all over the kids bedroom, pay to repaint. I don't owe them one penny as far as I'm concern.

They are attempting to take advantage of the technicalities, to outwit, to avoid paying the back rent owed, and are demanding their deposit back or else! Trouble makers and attempting to divert the truth-they owe me. Never have any of past past tenants attempted to outfox the reality except this person so I'm curious to the proper procedure.

Can anyone answer this question-Does the law say I owe them a certified letter to explain what was already explained in multiple emails?

Thank you in advance.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 6, 2014
Alma Kee answered:
You may have to put up an additional deposit but if you're just talking student loan issues and not evictions you should be okay.

Make sure you investigate the owner to be sure it is the actual owner before handing over any money. Also do some homework to verify the owner is NOT in default or you may not be able to renew your lease and if the A/C breaks the owner may not have any money to repair or replace it.

Best to rent in a complex until you're ready to buy.

Also if you can qualify to get an FHA or Conventional Mortgage, you may be able to get up to $10k from the State of Florida Bond program to buy. You can't earn over about $68k for a single person to get this money.

All the best,
Alma Kee
Sold On Tampa Team
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice
Rental Basics in Riverview Zip Codes