Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Foreclosure in Richmond County : Real Estate Advice

  • All9
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying7
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 21
Wed Aug 24, 2016
Thairhussen asked:
2-3 bd and 2 bath
My email is(
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 29, 2015
Dan Tabit answered:
Most of these auctions require cash in hand, do not allow previews or inspections and all sales are final. I'd also encourage you to speak to your agent about your interest. They can assist you in countless ways through research, market knowledge etc and you may just have to pay them yourself for this. It is not uncommon to have a buyer's agency arrangement. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 24, 2013
Carolyn Liddell answered:
I concur with the advice of the others. Stay there until there is a knock at the door requesting you to move. At which time, they often offer cash for keys, which usually entails being out in 30 days. And just because the bank takes the house back on a certain day, it may take them quite a while to come by. If it is less than the remaining 3 months on your lease, you can generally stay until the end; however, they may negotiate with you to depart. And in some cases, remain and pay them.

Some tenants do not like the uncertainty, and they choose to find another place, based on their own timing rather than wait it out.

Good luck,
Carolyn Liddell, Broker
Sun Realty of F'bg
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 12, 2012
Deborah asked:
Wed Jun 27, 2012
Rupali Pendse answered:
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac both have wonderful websites - and HUD also has a couple of properties.
They usually have a couple of brokers in the area who market their properties and list them with MLS.
By clean - I am assuming properties that you can start the renovations/rent/living in as soon as you close. Also assuming clean title.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 27, 2012
Rupali Pendse answered:
Visit Fannie Mae website - or Freddie Mac wesite -
They both have a great website where you can see pictures of homes in the areas you are looking at.
They both list their homes through brokers in the area so the information is available on the MLS as well as their sites.
Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae both clean out the houses, do minor repairs if needed and the closings are usually smooth.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed May 9, 2012
Robin Adair answered:
I would highly recommend Timber Creek Construction. They specialize in Kitchens and Bathrooms, as well as doing home renovations of their home properties to fix & flip. Contact is Shawn Adair, 804.337.9665. ... more
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
Sun May 6, 2012
Pam Davis answered:
If you will tell me your needs and price you are pre-approved for I will be happy to find you a home in the area you are interested. I actually have a spacious home off Harrowgate that you might be interested me at ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 21, 2012
Denny Phipps answered:
Your query has gone without an answer for a very good reason: you need to talk with a qualified legal advisor with a review of the specific documents for this case. The situations that receive the strongest forebearance are for personal residences, to keep people in the home they live in.

Do you have a lawyer you can talk to? Would you like for me to help identify someone for you?
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Mar 30, 2011
Joseph Domino answered:

Your best source is your Broker. He/She is responsible for the actions of all agents in the brokerage. They must have a policy with regard to these rules.

I personally have been to several training classes that discuss this topic and have heard several different interpretations. One thing that has been universal is the need to disclose the risks of attempting a short sale, something I think many agents have attempted to downplay as soon as they start having success doing short sales.

If your broker does not have a consistent policy, bring it up at your next meeting.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 24, 2010
Mike Curley answered:
Ty Dwyer, I totally agree with you. At 5%, I'm happy to do both jobs; at 3%, it's ridiculous. Additionally, listing agents have long been getting by wih extortion particularly when a selling broker let his/her NAID number lapse; 5% in those cases quickly went to 2.5% and still the buyer's agent pulled the entire load. Finally, isn't this arrangement a bit in conflict with the Realtor's Code of Ethics and most Board & MLS rules? Just asking...
Mike Curley, Broker (36 years), Richmond VA
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 19, 2010
Tom Fleming answered:

ive worked with Debra before and if your looking for a top notch agent who will give you 100% then look no more she is a real pro!!!!
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 6, 2010
Ann Mullikin answered:
I have several investment properties in and around the Richmond area. One of them might fit what you are looking for. Prices range from $30K up to $125K now with ARV's ranging from $78K to $170K. Call me at 804-385-2775 to get more information.

... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 9, 2008
Tina C. Wong answered:
Dear Ida,

You have some general questions regarding foreclosure which leads to many quesitons such as what happens to the HOA dues, it depends on the CC & R, rules & regulation of the HOA and the decision of the board how much the HOA fee is being past due & when it a lien should be filed against the homeowner. The property taxes is always on the first lien position or getting paid regardless if it is the one who is proceeding the foreclosure. There are also other questions that which lienholder is foreclosing the property, 1st loan? 2nd loan? or the HOA? Which state of foreclosure is the homeowner is in right now? Does your client want to stay in his home? Is the CC1695 applies on his case? You should advise your client to start consulting HUD of foreclosure proceeding for FREE, and consult with a CPA / tax attorney of whether he/she is qualified for the Mortgage Cancellation Tax Relief Act regarding the personal debts or note from lienholders. could also lead you to many answers and learn more about foreclosure.

Best regards,
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 9, 2008
Cameron Piper answered:

I was stop paying rent immediately, the chances of you getting your deposit back if you pay through the last month is slim to none, consider that if the person won't pay the mortgage they probably won't honor you by returning your deposit. Each state is different but it is unlikely that they will have time, let alone go to the trouble for kicking you out for not paying the rent.

There won't be much you can do about getting more time to move unless there is a person with a heart working for the bank who makes those decisions. Keep in mind that in most states (Any Virginia agents out there that want to weigh in on this?) your lease survives the transfer of ownership. Meaning that the person who buys the property at the Auction must honor the lease after they take ownership. That doesn't mean that they must renew the lease or allow you to stay longer. I have also heard of banks offering tenants of recently foreclosed properties money to move out.

I would start looking for another place and if money is as tight as you say, I would not recommend buying a home. A home will not be a blessing to you if you are not in the financial position to buy one. The best thing that you can do for yourself and your four kids is to keep your expenses low and your options open, and the best way to do this is to rent rather than own.

Cameron Piper
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Apr 20, 2008
Don Tepper answered:
A few comments on Jeff's response:

He says: "Ask them: If they can assign your contract to another party without your aggreement? (Agree to buy your house at x then they sell to someone else for x plus$..that's their profit)"

Virtually all will have in their contracts an assignability clause. Such as, in my case, "Solutions 3D LLC and/or assigns." Nothing wrong with that. Some of the "We Buy Houses" people are wholesalers. They'll get a property under contract at 60% of ARV (after repair value) and assign it to a wholesaler for more. Jeff's right: That's their profit. Could be as little as a few thousand dollars. One successful wholesaler I work with in Washington, D.C., averages about $24,000 per transaction. I'm sure Jeff isn't arguing against profits. He's just more familiar with profits coming from a Realtor's fee, and that's OK, too. Other "We Buy Houses" people include that if they need it, though they do intend on purchasing and rehabbing. So, yes, a "We Buy Houses" person will have an assignability clause in the contract.

Jeff said: "Ask if they have the right to market the property for sale prior to closing with you? (Basically, they're trying to flip your house before they close on it)." Again, that's pretty standard in most "We Buy Houses" contracts. Nothing wrong with that, either. The "We Buy Houses" people may be using "hard money" to finance the purchase. One of my hard money lenders charges 5 points and 12% interest for the first 3 months, then 14% interest the next 3 months. You can bet I want to sell that home as quickly as possible. And if that means marketing it before I close, that's right.

The point, though, is that--as I said below--"We Buy Houses" people offer a quick solution to people needing a quick sale. If a seller needs to sell quickly--in a matter of days--what concern is it to him or her if an investor will make a profit on the transaction?

And I agree with Jeff 100% when he says: "The best way to get top dollar is to offer it to the most try putting it on the market first with a full service, full time real estate professional. If that doesn't work out...then give them a try. It's always an option."

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 8, 2008
Mohamed Mekhimar answered:
Most mortgage companies don't do "lot loans." Establish good credit and cleanup any unfavorable reports. You should start saving for payment. You can find a land from 25000 or more, depend of the area in MetroRichmond. ... more
1 vote 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 16, 2007
Jeff Mays answered:
Find a real estate professional to do the work for you. There's great advice out there and it may not cost you anything for their assistance.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice
Foreclosure in Popular Cities in Richmond County