why not enough realtors houses or apartments dont accept section 8 voucher.?

Asked by Patricia Burts, 29605 Sat Jan 11, 2014

Answers

6
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Wed Jan 15, 2014
Beethoven in Greenville,
Your commentary is greatly appreciated. It is obvious you are struggling in maintaining a just evaluation of the Section 8 system. You seem to want to understand the difficulties the landowner encounters also.
-
All of us are disappointed when abuses occur. As you noted, the purpose for the Section 8 program is well meaning and intended to be a real option to help folks needing a temporary helping hand.
-
Four years ago I persuaded a builder to proceed with a project with Habitat for Humanity. Things went well until the subjects moved in and started their unrelenting demands. He pulled out of the project when it was 3/4 complete. Not a single thank you.
-
It is discouraging when those who INTEND to be helpful are harmed in the process.
I do understand what "go the extra miles means". I understand what 'the first mile is to be like the next and the next". Even "when one ask for your robe, give your cloak also." What is the expected of the recipient?
-
From my observations of subsidized housing the burden upon the owner far outweighs the benefit. This is my view from the provider side. From the benefactor side, much of your evaluation is formed by the result of these burdens and the effect they have on you. When the roof over your head is at risk, it is hard not to blame others.
-
When my house was at risk, I most certainly blamed Bank of America for single-handedly causing the 2008 crash.
-
What is your plan to help yourself in 2014?
Amelia Robin…, Agent, Falls Church, VA
Wed Oct 7, 2015
I don't accept Section 8 vouchers for my rental properties because it would cost me too much time and money to deal with the red tape involved.

I'd be open to Section 8 tenants, but the bureaucracy involved is too painful and there's very little incentive. Dealing with city officials and staff is painful enough when I HAVE to do it, I'd never do it voluntarily.

I am also fortunate that my properties are in a location that is pretty easy to rent. It's a low income area, but I still manage to get tenants who can afford the rent.
Shirley Warr…, Home Buyer, Greensboro, NC
Wed Oct 7, 2015
oh, to answer the question republicans for the past 7 years are always threatening to shutdown our government agencies, de-fund them like spoiled children when they cannot get their way and that my friends affects every Section 8 Participant and homeowner. so many refuse to list their property in the Section 8 program because they are in the housing business for personal financial growth.
Wed Oct 7, 2015
I am thankful for my Section 8 Voucher for without it I could not have raised my girls to be the college students they all are today. Now, I am seeking to f ind that final homeowner that will allow me to age and live out my life need the sea in Wilmington, NC. It is true that a few bad apples have caused all participants of the Section 8 program to be viewed negatively labeled which is just another form of prejudice in America. Participants and Homeowners both take a chance on each other in this business of providing and obtaining clean-safe shelter. It would be nice if everyone could afford to buy and maintain their own home, but the American economy is crap and jobs are more technical than the days when your neighbor may have helped build your TV set. As for me and mine, I was raised knowing the importance of maintaining your home inside and out represented the whole family who lived in it. Yes, every woman is not trained up the same, and money seems to make the rules in our society today. As an ex-girl scout leader who has raised three daughters it is my model to leave a place cleaner than I found it. For every place I have lived I have left permanent improvements, but to date I cannot say my cost was very much appreciated, in fact, many home owners believe if you want to live in a house you have to maintain it all once you sign on the dotted line. But, we all know many of the tenants are single mothers just trying to give their children a decent place to be live and to be proud of, even the lowest of incomes does not take that dream away.

Many homeowners clean it up just to get you in knowing the majority of the rent will be paid by the governmental agency, so they do the initial work, but then they forget they must help to maintain the property as well and every home needs a man's hand to be maintained properly and every woman does not have a man to call upon, but every Section 8 tenant has a property owner. I can handle the beautification and cleanliness of the interior, but as for outside gutters, electrical, plumbing and heating and water issues, every home needs a man and that's the homeowner's responsibility and contribution toward keeping my family safe throughout our tenancy,. Many Section 8 participant's who rent single family homes know maintenance of a home cost, and if we had the money we were be our own homeowner, so we are judged by the wear and tear of the property that good yearly maintenance would help avoid but never received instead the homeowner complains about the repair job then give the tenant the bill for parts and labor. I thank God I have some legal knowledge to know some many property maintenance are not the responsibility of the tenant. and I am also thankful for the yearly inspections because I know I am a good tenant and I care for the place i call home and if I point out a maintenance matter that needs addressing and the owner fails to repair in the first year of my tenancy he will fail his inspection and he has the choice, fix it or lose money until it is fixed or lose a good tenant. Keep all receipts for any improvements to support your good tenancy. (I paid $133 for the toilet I sit on.). Only recommendation I can truly give is care for your home, work on your personal credit life and continue to seek out that property owner that cares for his property FIRST and not the money it makes for him. God Bless You all and Good Luck.
anewbeginnin…, Renter, Greenville, SC
Wed Nov 12, 2014
I can say I understand from each point of view. There are a lot of people who abuse the system and do not understand Section 8 is just there temporarily and was intended to give families a helping hand while trying to become self sufficient. I currently live in an area where it is nice and peaceful its not your top class neighborhood at this moment but they are buying properties and building around me everyday. I look out my back door and there are 90000 + homes built up, they are about to turn the old apartments at the corner to some expensive condos with a solar powered pool the neighborhood is growing and its very close to downtown which is becoming a major touring area. Living here is convenient for me and my family. My daughter walks to school, my mom is about6 minutes away the church is down the street and if I want to go to a game I do not have to drive ti get there the stadium is right there so I would love to stay in this area that is the good side. Now my downfall is I have tried for the last month to find a house since I was actually approved for section 8 but the agencies that are accepting them only accept them for certain houses, apts in areas I really would not like my children to live again. I keep getting turned away because everyone has given up on section 8 and do not want to be bothered. I have had the worst luck finding something in a decent area for my family. I have a few weeks to go and I will be sending a letter to request an extension because I just really cant find anyone that will say I don't like dealing with section 8 but I will check your direct credentials and if you meet the qualifications I will give you a chance. I think the solution would be that simple don't give up just find a way for things to be fair across the board so those that may need it in the future will not have to down grade to take advantage of the 2nd chance they have. For certain houses I think a thorough background check would be helpful that means if I have been in my home for 2 years and a few months and prior to this I was in my home for over 7 years paying rent no evictions, no complaints great references good job history and I don't have any drug or violent charges that should give the ok for certain homes in certain areas, Now for section 8, I do feel they don't work with the landlords instead of cutting off the payments to the landlord I think they should continue to pay their share of the rent and work with the landlord and courts to remove those that violate the codes and are faced with losing their vouchers. I don't think the landlord should have to lose out and end up stuck with lost rent, court and legal fees for trying to assist section 8 with providing a home in a decent area for a family until they become self sufficient. Well Im going to continue on until I find something because this would allow me the chance to try to get back to where I was prior to relocating back here after living in a different states for years. I think this would allow the process to go a lot smoother easier and fair to everyone across the board. The only person that is left out is the person that chose to take advantage of the system and not do what was right.
ludwigvan_be…, Renter, Greenville, SC
Wed Jan 15, 2014
I do not know but have been wondering about this myself. Perhaps is is because some section 8 people violate the rules such as having unauthorized people live with them, doing drugs, have wild partiies,play their car stereos and apartment sound system for the entire city to hear. et al and the result is that all of us who obey the rules find it difficult to find housing. My present landlord has had it with section 8 and section 8 folks are having to move---and that is not right for those who followed the rules. Some landlords just see dollar signs ---they do not give a damn that they are renting to human lives but might as well to boxes of nails--all they care about is the almighty dollar and have no qualms about taking immoral steps to get it--they come in fix up the place and then sell and if the new landlord does not like the tenants they have to move. I am sure you have seen the get rich quick ads on tv --that promise you to become a real estate millonaire--and some of these people are the big problem. Their should be a law that prevents this abuse and other such abuses. but at the present time tenants are at the mercy of the Courts and mostly the landlord--who is all powerful (too much so). IF we had rent controls things might be better. Section 8 is meant to help those who have had or have low incomes and perhaps get back on their feet. Section 8 mutually helps landlords with payments--they get a guaranteed payment for the term of the lease--usually a year or more (if renewed).

Recently, two landlords came into the Housing office while I was there and they were complaining that the Housing office had not paid them or were too slow to pay--so that could be another problem
After reviewing your status let me just say that section 8 is for families with low income, however their is a large percentage of people that works very hard , but still have to receive assistance for there rent. so lets not stero type individuals, as bombs, drug dealers,classless people. Thats so far from the ruth. Section 8 is a program thats design to promote self sufficientcey for low-income families. Hud is the entity over Housing Authoritys . so alot of home owners has this mindset that all section 8 people are bad , but thats not the truth. get informed before you comment.
Flag Fri Feb 7, 2014