why do realty companies insist on asking for 3 times amount of rent ? not everyone works like them

Asked by amlopezwaddles, San Antonio, TX Mon Aug 27, 2012

so many people are looking for a nice clean ,safe place to live and they can't because of some "Red Tape" reason !!!!

Answers

8
Skyles, Renter, San Antonio, TX
Thu Aug 30, 2012
I agree with you Waddles. A comment was made that rejecting an applicant is "cheaper" than having to evict them down the line. Who's to say that if a person doesn't make 3X the rent, they will be automatically subjected to eviction? The last time I did an application, no one asked me what my cell phone bill was or even if I had one. No one factored in my car gas, you know, in the company car that is paid for by the company. No one asked me what my cable bill was, even though we use netflix for $8 a month. No one asked me what my car insurance was or my HEB bill or anything else. It's a bogus rule that has no bearing. How many people that actually make 3 times the rent end up getting evicted-for reasons that have nothing to do with how much money they make? A LOT! How much cheaper is it to leave a home vacant on the market, while the owner is paying a double mortgage waiting on it to rent out? EXACTLY!
Fairies68, Renter, Miramar, FL
Mon Jul 17, 2017
This is an outrageous requirement, there are good people like me that can't rent anywhere because I don't make 3 times the rent. If you live with four people maybe, but if you are a single woman in Miami, where rent is 1300 and more, how can you possibly make 3 times that? We are all going to have to live like a can of Vienna sausages in order to live anywhere in todays world... Makes me sick to think about.
seeking an a…, , Orlando, FL
Sat Apr 11, 2015
The other scam is the pet rent. I have seen children do more damage then a dogs or cats. They should have a children rent and deposit. Kids fight, commit petty theft, and other crimes. I had a Jaguar car and they stole the hood ornament off the Jag to use it as a bottle opener and that wasn't in a rental community but home owners children who lived two blocks away. These parents wouldn't even let their kids take responsibility for what happened but blamed me for owning the car to entice their children and if they got arrested the children would lose their football scholarship to college. But I had to pay to have the hood ornament replaced because my deductible for my insurance wouldn't cover it.

Also, what about landlords who do not fix their properties? The law in Florida states that the tenant has the right to withhold the rent and take them into Tenant/Landlord court, meanwhile the landlord has started eviction and they go to their favorite judge. Shouldn't the Landlord be responsible for their properties? They treat mold with a cover of paint or spray it with Tilex. When the drywall should be removed with the mold and replaced with new drywall, the mold will never go away unless removed and properly commercially cleaned but that would be to costly to maintain and keep up the property. I believe maintenance company people should be forced to live in their roach infested, mildew and mold infested properties until they are properly fixed. Those that live on the property live in a mint perfect apartment or home, those apartments that they show as "models" are in mint condition and they refuse to show the apartment you are going to be renting until they give you the keys after you sign the lease and they take your money. I believe that if the landlord doesn't fix the problem within an appropriate time frame of 5 business days, that the rent should be free or taken off from what the tenant paid for fixing it. If an appliance breaks, the landlord should be sued if it is a refrigerator three times the amount of what you had in the fridge for food plus every day purchase of food. If a washing machine breaks, the landlord should be charged three times the amount it costs to wash in a laundromat. If the dishwasher breaks, the landlord should be charged three times the amount of the water it takes to wash dishes plus hardship. They breach their contract when they don't fix and a lease is a contract.

I have rented property out to people and I had wonderful tenants. If something went wrong, it was fixed immediately. I exterminated every month, whether needed or not. My tenants were happy and my rent was paid on time. I never asked for proof that they earn three times the rent. In order to pay three times the rent with today's salaries, you need in a two bedroom apartment four people living there, all working. Families cannot afford the $2000.00 rent on three bedroom apartments or homes. Let them go vacant. We need a class action lawsuit against rental maintenance companies who demand three times the rent.
seeking an a…, , Orlando, FL
Sat Apr 11, 2015
They want 3 times the rent in a rental community to invade your privacy I was $200 less then what they wanted because my job didnt start for another week at Disney and because I didnt get my picture and my ID which it said on my acceptance letter I was rejected but they wanted to keep the deposit of the pro rated apartment. Also they want it in a money order so you can not stop the check, This is a scam and should be stopped. They make more money showing and taking in application fees then renting it. They can take $200- $300 in deposit and your application fee could be $24-70 person in a Money Order,, and they wont return the deposit because they kept it off the market for 2-3 days. They lie to you saying the apt is in good condition but if you read the community comments they are slum landlords and refuse to fix anything. You pay for their people to invade your privacy.
You were going to go to work at Disney and wasnt going to make enough to even afford an apartment...you grammar is on par with a teenagers or very young adult without much education, you make ridiculous accusations regarding realtors or landlords...accusations that an angry kid would make when they dont get their way and express a lack of understanding of why they require the 3x times rent income monthly as well as why or how other things in the rental business works but yet you claim that you have "rented out property and had wonderful tenants and when things went wrong you fixed them immediately". You claim that you never required proof of income or three times the rent in income...you were not only never a land lord that rented property out to people but you are a big fat liar...they funny thing is you dont even know what you dont know....but anyone with any experience can see it plain as day!!! Give it up you look like a fool and a moron!!
Flag Mon Oct 17, 2016
Flag Mon Oct 17, 2016
Victor Espin…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Fri Aug 31, 2012
They want to make sure that one will be able to afford the rent, cars, utilities, groceries, lawn, going out, gas. ect. 3 times the rent is the safest way to see. sometimes they will want a double security deposit just to make sure and keep the landlord safe. nowadays renting is just as difficult as buying...
Darrell D. D…, Agent, Schertz, TX
Mon Aug 27, 2012
It's not "Red Tape"....as a Realtor and also a Landlord for personally owned rental properties, it's a matter of leasing a property to someone that can afford it. Anything less and the tenant is likely not to be able to afford the home when you add car payments, car insurance, gas and electricity bills, water and sewer bills, cable bills, cell phone bills, and regular cost of living like food, doctors, and filling up the vehicle.

Rejecting an applicant is cheaper that allowing someone who can't afford it to move in so you can evict them down the line.
Jason Campbe…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Aug 27, 2012
Most management companies want to see that your income is at least 3 times what the rent payment is to be sure that you qualify to rent their property. I see that a lot. It's not really "Red Tape" as much as it is a comfort level by a landlord that they are renting to someone who is capable of making the rent payment... at the end of the day, we all know that if it comes down to rent, or eating... people will certainly not choose rent.

There are so many qualified renters out there, that this is a good way of making sure you are renting to the right folks.

Apartments are easier to rent that homes. Some of those folks are a little less strict.
I personally think its bull to ask 3x's the rent, as long as you get the rent, we've paid our rent in full & on time for over 21 years, we need to move to a safer area, as were in a very unsafe area in Kansas City, Ks, but because were on SSI, were told to go on hud or sec 8, umm that'a 4 year or longer wait, we need to move NOW, not 4 years or longer, NOW! I'll be damned if because were on SSI were made to be a piss ant, & asking for that is stupid, as long as you get your rent & on time in FULL that's all you need, nothing more, we have no family to help us or co sign as there all past. Also if we made more do you think we'd be on SSI or disability?? All you need to know after you do a background check as your asking for us to give you money for that all you have to know is asking our past landlords have they had trouble with us NO, have we always paid our rent on time & in Full Yes, ever damaged our places NO, case closed, but because of being greedy you treat us like crap!
Flag Yesterday at 4:10pm
wait so those of us who are on SSI & can afford the rent & other bills are being turned down & need to be in a safer area & are told to live in sec 8 or hud here in Kansas that's a damn 4 year or more longer wait, we need out NOW, not 4 years or longer, NOW, if we can pay & have been for damn near over 21 years but now are told we can't afford there places, just because were on SSI, I call that bull whats it matter as long as you get your money don't worry about what else we can pay as long as you get the rent, if your so damn worried about what we can't pay then step up & help us out, instead of knocking us down. Walk in our shoes then tell us we need 3x's the rent, we can't ask for a co signer due to our families are past, if we made 3x's the rent do you think we'd be on SSI?? Get real
Flag Yesterday at 4:01pm
Jose Novelo, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Aug 27, 2012
Ownres and property managers want to make sure the rent can be paid monthly. You can use all the income in the houshold.
Good Luck
Jose L. Novelo
if that is the case , then seems alot of people could have 2 times the amount but 3 ? economy sure is getting worse ! and alot of us older people are being put out to pasture before time , just cause a person is 50 or over does not make it crime to hire for jobs , usually if one does not already have the job before they turn fifty ,they won't get hired...and that is not just my opion...
Flag Mon Aug 27, 2012