what is required to rent property in the US from a british non us resident?

Asked by shireenalhaydari, Los Angeles, CA Thu Jul 31, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Tristam Biel…, Agent, South Pasadena, CA
Wed Sep 24, 2014
When I moved here from Blighty I just had to show proof of employment and they ran a credit check anyway even though I had no history. I had no problem but that was only with large apartment buildings; individual landlords may be less flexible.
0 votes
, ,
Tue Sep 23, 2014
You posted this a while ago, I would just like to comment anyway. Nothing, besides a rental agreement? I can not thing of a thing. I think the other two who answered your question may not have understood your question, or maybe it was I who misunderstood. What they listed are the items that landlords may request before renting, if they want to. These items are not "required." Heck a rental agreement is not really required, but it will be considered a month to month agreement without one.
###########SCAM ALERT########Watch out though, many people rent out properties they do not own, so a landlord claiming to be in England may not own the property and it could be a scam
0 votes
Jacqui Rum, Agent, Westlake Village, CA
Fri Aug 1, 2014
You will need to fill out an application, prove that you have a job or job offer, pay stubs, offer letter from employer, they may also ask for a bank statement.
Also, a credit report is always required.
0 votes
Nicole Fedor…, Agent, Santa Ana, CA
Thu Jul 31, 2014
Hello, Shireen-
The requirements are typically proof of income (two months paystubs), a credit report, references, and a bank statement showing enough to cover move-in costs. If you don't have a US Credit Report, some landlords will accept an overseas credit report. Or you can expect to pay a higher deposit.

Nicole Fedorchek, Realtor
Tarbell Realtors
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more