Rentals in Modesto>Question Details

Jeremy, Other/Just Looking in 95350

someone from another country claims to be the owner of a home for rent . i suspect fraud is there any way to confirm

Asked by Jeremy, 95350 Sat Jan 30, 2010

i found a home for rent . when i replyed i became suspicious. the "owners a" are out of the country. the keys are too. they want me to send money, and then theyll send the keys, how can i find out the name of the owner of this home ?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Modesto

you dont !! We can ask the title company but what do you do when they dont come back and have your money!! what if its in foreclosure?? keep life simple find another place Molly
Hi Jeremy,
If you know a Real Estate agent they can look it up online, however the information for that can be as old as 3 weeks. You can always go to the county and see the public records and those are usually up to date within a business day or two.

Harold Sharpe
So Cal Homes Realty
951 821 8211
OMG ... I would assume you are correct.

County tax records

There has many scams of this nature, recommend contact a Realtor assist with your property search.

GREAT question !

As other agents have mentioned, this has become unfortunately a classic scam on Craigslist.
It's a scam.

Don't pursue it any farther.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Hi Jeremy. This is a very popular scam on Craigs List. Be careful. Check the tax records for the owner of record, however, that is public information and is not an assurance that this is not a scam. If it sounds too good to be true....

~Robert Greenblatt
Keller Williams
Cherry Hill, NJ
Proceed with caution or stay away altogether, it sounds way too risky--but if this is the rental for you, you can check to see who the owner is by looking in the local public records department--
You can check the county records but then how do you know that is who you are talking to. A responsible home owner would have a property mananger if they were going to be outside the US and most probably out of the state. Trust your instincts!!!

Kindest Regards,
Dianne Hicks
Web Reference:

I would proceed with caution but you can contact a Realtor to possible help you if you have one you have used in the past. Second you could contact a Title company and have them check for you but they may charge you for this information.

I am very surprised that the owners do not have a contact person in the area. Again I would be cautious.

Jerry A. Lorenz
Russell Realtors
Cell: 440 724 4402
My Blog: Jerry’s Real Estate Blog
Web Reference: Http://
Don't bother.

Even if this is legit - which it isn't - what will you do when you move in and the water heater blows? Trust that "out-of-the-country" is going to get it replaced tomorrow? Chat fance.