renting a room in a illegal conversion and landlord says hes selling the property what should we do

Asked by renitaking, New York, NY Sat Dec 1, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Nick Rafello’s answer
Nick Rafello, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Dec 1, 2012
The question is, why would put yourself in an illegal conversion? You're putting yourself in harms way and so, is the owner/landlord of the apartment. You are worth much more than cheap rent. If the owner is going to sell, better to just get out. Find a friend and see if you can find a place you both can rent together to save yourself money.

Nick Rafello, SVP
Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
1 vote
John, , New York, NY
Tue Dec 18, 2012
Living in an illegal conversion is almost always a bad idea. Although there may be some benefit on the form of reduced rent, these units are fire traps for firemen and residents. I would move out not because of the sale, but because you are violating the law and risking your safety by living where you do. Having said that, the landlord selling the property is a different story legally than the building inspector discovering the conversion.
0 votes
Charlene Squ…, Renter, Brooklyn, NY
Sun Dec 9, 2012
I know several people going through this situation this week. It's so sad. You will have to move ASAP unfortunately and the landlord knows you have no recourse. Good luck in finding a place to live that you can afford, in a space with privacy, and people you can trust. All while being able to feed yourself and keep the lights on.
0 votes
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Dec 2, 2012
You have no recourse but to move. Because your rental apt. is not a legal conversion, you cannot expect to have any kind of tenant's rights. It is possible the new buyer might want to strike a deal with you to stay, but illegal conversions are generally not safe and again, you have no protections.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Dec 2, 2012
Consider looking for a new home...
0 votes
Jules Borbely, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Dec 1, 2012
Get ready to move.... ASAP!
0 votes
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sat Dec 1, 2012
I suggest you look for a new place to move. Make sure it's a legal rental this time.
0 votes
Veronika Baba, Agent, NY,
Sat Dec 1, 2012
My advice is to find an other place. You don,t want to go to the court. Even if is a illegal conversion if you are going to the court, you will be forced to move out . I had a opportunity to see one case like yours. You don,t want to have problems like that. Eviction is one of the worst problem in your credit. It is very bad for your future tenancy. There are plenty of rental apartments in NYC.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more