Question removed

Asked by Kerry Evans, Bronx, NY Mon Jul 22, 2013

This question was removed by Trulia moderators.

Answers

4
, ,
Tue Jul 23, 2013
Good afternoon Kerry,

I hope you will find my advice useful. I’m no real estate agent, just a humble Mortgage Banker, but I can give you some guidance on your search for the right rental apartment.

In my experience in the real estate trade, I’ve discovered that the consumer is best served by adopting some simple strategies, whether you’re buying a home, selling one, or renting an apartment.

First: remember that real estate agents work on commission. The better quality agents---and those with the most experience---will be testing you from the initial contact to determine if you’re serious and will commit to using their services. Why? Because real estate is like any other business; you don’t sit at a table in a restaurant to read the menu without actually buying food at some point. It’s the same concept: the experienced real estate professional has to earn a living by renting apartments to serious and qualified prospective renters.

Therefore, the smart consumer should be well-prepared and committed to respecting the real estate professional’s time. Prepare yourself with three fundamentals: amenities, location, and price.

Know your requirements for the apartment you wish to rent in terms of amenities (one bedroom versus three bedrooms; elevator building or private house), location (proximity to public transportation or need for parking), and price. If you present yourself as well-prepared you’ll have a better chance of working with an experienced agent who will work hard to find you the right apartment.

Second, start with the internet---especially TRULIA.com---but stay “local.” Don’t think a real estate agent in Brooklyn can find you an apartment in Queens, or vice versa. Here on TRULIA.com you can easily find a local professional by clicking on “FIND an AGENT” at the top of this page. There you can hone in on a seasoned professional in exactly the area where you wish to rent your apartment. TRULIA provides exceptional tools to help you as a consumer understand the quality of the professional you’re working with. Read the agent’s profile; check out the recommendations from previous clients; get to know the level of experience of the agent and the areas that agent covers.

Third, real estate agents are prevented by Federal regulations from answering certain types of questions. They cannot discuss schools or school districts, crime statistics, and a variety of other issues prohibited by Fair Housing regulations. If your agent is vague when you ask certain types of questions, now you know why.

Finally, demonstrate your level of seriousness to your real estate agent. Show up on time for your appointments to view apartments. If you’re required to submit documents for the Landlord to review with your rental application, get them into your agent’s hands pronto. Not only does this help you potentially get one step ahead of a competing renter, but you’ll be viewed by the Landlord as a responsible renter. Landlords prefer responsible renters, don’t they?

I hope that helps you improve the results of your search for an apartment, and helps you with a better quality experience.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
1010 Northern Blvd. Suite 234
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
Mildred Vale…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Tue Jul 23, 2013
Kerry,

Call our office at 347-202-4965, we have a huge rental department and we have rental listings all over the Bronx. Our rental specialists are highly trained and ready 7 days a week.
Beware of Fraudulent ads and scams. Work with a professional for the best and highest quality of service.

Call today to help end your Search!

Millie Valentin
Sales Specialist and Marketing Coordinator
Exit Realty Search
3928 E. Tremont Avenue
Bronx, NY 10465
http://www.ExitRealtySearch.com
Joseph Cosen…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Mon Jul 22, 2013
Good evening Kerry,
I have a very nice 1 bed 1 bath located 5 min from the school on Broadway in Riverdale.

Please call my office tomorrow to schedule an appointment to view the apartment.

Joseph Cosentino
Morris Park Realty
718-881-1923
Web Reference:  http://www.JCOSENTINO.com
No problem will give you a call
Flag Mon Jul 22, 2013
Mildred Vale…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Mon Jul 22, 2013
Kerry,

Call today to help end your Search!

Millie Valentin
Exit Realty Search
3928 E. Tremont Avenue
Bronx, NY 10465
http://www.ExitRealtySearch.com