property sold and i am being harassed by new owners to move

Asked by Tammy Welch, Phoenix, AZ Sun Nov 4, 2012

i am in a year lease, the company i rented from in july 2012 sold their property and closed as of september2012 the new owners want me and the other tenants out. as i am aware that my lease as well as my deposits get turned over to the new owners right? and if so wouldnt it be the same as if i was wanting to move out early that i would have to buy out my lease so there for the new owners want us out they should buy us out of our lease too? see i am on ssi and im on housing assistance and cant afford to move, i havent caught up from moving in here in july 2012. i myself havent talked to the new owners but the other tenants have and all the new owners say they will give us is our deposits back. im not in agreement with that or should i be? on top of that the portion of my rent that gets paid for me was sent to the previous owners and has been cashed. so now it looks like i havent paid rent and neither new nor old owners will return calls

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Tammy Welch, Renter, Phoenix, AZ
Tue Nov 6, 2012
Thank you both for your advice Iam now working with the new owners to come to an agreement on a buy out let's see how it works out
0 votes
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Sun Nov 4, 2012
Absolutely you need to consult with an attorney. In most states when a property is sold that has a tenant with a lease in place, there's no choice, the new owner must honor the existing lease. If the new owner wants you out and this is infact the law in AZ then they need to be prepared to offer you a buyout, there's no set amount it's whatever you and they come to an agreement on.

If you're receiving a Section 8 voucher as partial payment then I would additionally advise you contact your county's Assisted Housing department and tell them what's going on, the old landlord has stolen money and the no landlord is harassing you.

Finally I would suggest writing a letter to each the new and old owners and sending it return receipt requested so you have the evidence it was received. I would state in it that unless the old owner turns over the payments they've received to which they were not entitled to the new owner and that the new owner send you written notice that they've received the payment due them and in addition immediately stops harassing you to move or offers you a buyout to move you will contact your State Attorney General's office and the Arizona State Real Estate Commission file an official complaint. Lastly if you do not hear from them within 7 days, you will file a complaint with each and that this will be their only official notice.

Good luck I hope everything works out for the best.
0 votes
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sun Nov 4, 2012
At this point, you should consult an attorney......
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more