im looking to rent, but i have bad credit. will this stop me from getting a rental?

Asked by Ricketta Smith, Queens, NY Fri Apr 20, 2012

Answers

12
George Capel…, , Brooklyn, NY
Sat Apr 21, 2012
You may be able to find an apartment without a credit check but you may find yourself in an area not of your choosing.Some landlords want to rent rent their apartments ASAP and my overlook a less then perfect credit report. Working with a broker will give you less choces because they will only show you apartments that the landlords don't care of credit score.Order a copy of your credit report and show it to landlords that you like and if they like what they see they can order a report to verify and your in..ask if it will meet or exceed their credit score requirements, it may save you time and money... Good Luck... George
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Apr 20, 2012
Much will depend on the individual landlord. Consider being upfront with the potential landlord regarding your credit; possibly offer extra security deposit, possibly pre-pay some of the rent, possiby have a guarantor, etc.
Akeisha, Renter, Nashville, TN
Wed Jun 12, 2013
Having a bad credit does not stop you from getting a leasing place that you want. There are landlords/property managers out there who are willing to consider and will look on your credit records to check if you are a good tenant. One company helps people with bad credit get the place that they wanted. Just a few requirements and a clean criminal background history, with EZ Lease Rentals' help you will get the place that you wanted.
Allie Lenard, Home Buyer, Washington, PA
Mon May 6, 2013
Uh yes. It will stop you from getting a rental as property owners/managers today do credit checks and if they find that you have bad credit, you will likely get declined. Don't worry because you can always ask the help of a company, preferably EZ Lease Rentals as I have tried them myself already. They have helped me rent a place of my own even with bad credit. What they did here was to ask for some requirements (at least $4000 income monthly and no criminal record) and they asked me for the apartment of my choice and they were the one who talked to the property owner and signed the lease on my behalf. It's really great and it's such a smooth process.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Sat Jul 21, 2012
Hi, Every landlord will differ so take it case by case. The reasons behind your poor credit can make a difference. If you can prove you are on the mend and have been for some time then it may work out for you.

Chris
Amy Liu, Agent, Flushing, NY
Sat Jul 21, 2012
Some landlords do run a credit check, so it it possible that you may occur some problems. It all depends on the landlord.

Amy Liu
East Coast Realtors, Inc
cliuz, Home Seller, New York, NY
Sat Jul 21, 2012
no it can not stop u from getting it just be patience and negociate
Angela Nelson, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Mon May 14, 2012
many landlords require a credit check, so this could be a problem.
matthew hars, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Apr 20, 2012
I agree with what everyone else said. If your score is also above a 620 you can try http://www.insurent.com/ you basically pay a fee and they will be your guarantor, they act as insurance for the landlord. Your other options are offering several months of secuirty upfront, and getting someone to be your guarantor.
Web Reference:  http://www.insurent.com/
Irina Karan, Agent, Aventura, FL
Fri Apr 20, 2012
Some landlords won't care, but others will. Having a good roommate or guarrantor (lease co-signer), as well as putting a little more money upfront (or as an extra security deposit, unless is inappropriate in your state) - will improve your chances.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Expert
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Anton Zapria…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Florham Park, NJ
Fri Apr 20, 2012
Find a room mate, for now, and start working on improving your credit! Usually credit is used to determine one's character, but in essence is a social phenomena - lost of employment,divorce,death in the family,etc.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Apr 20, 2012
It'll slow you down. It might or might not stop you, depending on the requirements of the landlord or management company.