if I pay back an apartment for off-charges in exchange for having it fall off my records will I be able to rent there again:

Asked by Efrain Garcia, 78741 Fri Aug 30, 2013

the manager mentioned that I will never be able to rent from them again. Is she right

Answers

3
John Macpherson’s answer
John Macpher…, Renter, Austin, TX
Thu Sep 5, 2013
I find management is often misleading, and frequently tend to exagerate and even lie for a few extra dollars. They know that they have a lot more money than you do and that they can leverage at your expense. There is a high turnover of staff, and ownership in this field of INDUSTRY. Management often will overlook a single management company for this reason.
They place more weight on your history as a tenant, and the number of these complaints.

The best way to avoid these issues is the point at the end of filling out the papers by requesting a revisit of the unit and do a diligent inspection which includs listing of problems, potential problems, photo documentation. Remember the contract remains incomplete til there are the exchanges which confirms the transaction.
Repeat the inspection of the entire ares that you are leasing both inside and out at the time of move in and a third time at exit. The management is generaly liable for all routine maintaince, "normal" ware and to re clean and detail for a new resident you are not liable for these issues though you are often hung for these expenses by complaints generaly from rarely moving the apliances and cleaning, detailing them thouroughly, lime deposits in the comode .... dammages from decorating the unit with wall hangings ... that are expected by the property management.
Carlos Arana, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Aug 30, 2013
Efrain,

That is usually a case by case policy with each management company. If the manager is telling you this, then there would be no way to circumvent it.

Regardless, you should pay off the debt because it will affect your ability to anywhere.

Eric Engberg, Agent, Cedar Park, TX
Fri Aug 30, 2013
Efrain,

Paying off landlord debt is always a good idea. As Carlos was saying, it can drastically hinder your chances of being approved elsewhere if you don't. My experience has always been that if you pay what you owe then most places will go ahead and lease to you. The debt may never truly "Fall off" your credit but if you hold on to your proof of payment then the majority of the management companies out there will still lease to you.

Hope this helps.

My best,
Eric