i have a person that is renting an apartment in levittown new york and stating that they are a missionary in africa. they are saying that the rent

Asked by Kerriann, 11756 Mon Jun 28, 2010

is $700/mo and that is refundable. i am homeless with 2 children and cannot afford to make a mistake in giving this person money. is there any way of me finding out the name on the deed of this house without spending money?

Answers

9
John Weber, Agent, Levittown, PA
Tue Jul 23, 2013
This is a scam. Do not send them money. Just a quick FYI; other scams will have a similar set up and demand personal information such as social security numbers or bank accounts. Be extremely cautious about who you release any personal information to. This can end up even worse than a one time payment scam.

I will repeat the advice from my colleagues in saying that you should check the public records. Good luck!

John A. Weber IV
Associate Broker
Bayview Estates Realty
(516) 777-0146
Melissa Goss, , Center Moriches, NY
Tue Jul 23, 2013
scam scam scam scam.... don't fall victim to this... it's one of the oldest tricks in the books for con artists. Don't send/wire him a dime.
therealtyqu…, Agent, Levittown, PA
Sat Apr 14, 2012
never get involved in a scam like that..ever..you can use the nasssau county public records site and just report this scam to the district attorneys office
Lisa Levine, Agent, Coventry, RI
Mon Jun 28, 2010
Well, I hope these answers have been helpful. As soon as I read your question, I thought scam too! Yes, the public records will indicate whom the owner is, and if they are local, I would contact them and let them know of the scam. In Rhode Island, there was a similar situation, and the people gave the money, showed up one day at the owners door with moving trucks in the street waiting to move in. Its a horrible situation, if you suspect something is not right, move on, but be cautious and ask lots of questions too. Good Luck with your search!
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Jun 28, 2010
No, don't give anyone any money without proof of ownership, and that can be checked by visiting the local public records department--there are many scams out there--do be careful--consider using the services of any licensed reputable agent if possible.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Mon Jun 28, 2010
It's a scam. Definitely a scam. Please don't send them any money.

Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Mon Jun 28, 2010
here is a copy of a blog a wrote a few months ago on rental scams

http://www.trulia.com/blog/scott_godzyk/2010/05/scam_alert

please check it out for your protection
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Mon Jun 28, 2010
That sounds like one of teh oldest scams in the book. Anything for rent on craigslist you have to look twice and three times. espcecailly when they say they are out of town and to wire money to them. if it sounds too good to be true it probabiy is, you should check with soem local and trusted rental companies or property management companies and they assist you so you do not get taken advantage of. good luck with your search
Century 21 P…, Agent, Massapequa, NY
Mon Jun 28, 2010
These people on Craigslist are scammers - do not send them any money!!!!!