i OWN PROPERTY AND HAVE GIVEN 24 NOTICE FOR THE PURPOSE OF RENTING THE PROPERTY, DO I NEED TO GIVE MY MORE NOTICE?

Asked by Greeksungoddess, Ithaca, NY Wed Jan 27, 2010

Answers

5
David Jaffe, Agent, Arlington Heights, IL
Wed Feb 9, 2011
I would encourage you to look at your lease agreement with your tenant. Often times there is a clause that you have the right to show the property within 60-days of the end of the lease agreement. The amount of time to notify the current tenant is often 24 hours, however this may not be spelled out in the lease. You should speak with your current tenants to work out a suitable arrangement for showings, along with their promise to keep the home neat and clean for showings.

There is no bigger turn-off for prospective renters than a messy house... Offer your current tenants an incentive to keep the place clean and cooperate with showings. This will go a long way to attract new renters.

Best of luck,

David Jaffe-SRES, CDPE
Realtor-Coldwell Banker
Elvina Amati, Agent, Ithaca, NY
Wed Feb 9, 2011
It looks like you are owner/manager. First of all, look at the lease agreement. I am involved in sales of rental properties in Ithaca quite a lot and in my experience 24 h notice to the tenants is typical, but, again, it should be spelled out in the lease. In general, try to give them as much notice as possible. Tenants appreciate it and you will have good relationship with them.
Elvina.
Natalia Hunt…, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Wed Jan 27, 2010
Well, are you trying to sell the property that is currently rented? Depends on the lease agreement you have with a tenant. You may need to discuss it with them, due to their rights to the property.
Natalia Hunter
RE/MAX Realty Group
Fort Myers, FL
Web Reference:  http://www.NSLHomes.com
Linda Ginex, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Wed Jan 27, 2010
It sounds like you have given your existing tenants who already put in thier 30 day notice, written 24 hour notice to show the place to potentially new tenants.

Written 24 hour notice is usually standard practice. However, you need to refer back to your rental agreement that you have in place with your existing tenants. More than 24 hour notice may be nice but it is up to you. Usually picking a day with a specific time a few days in advance works best. It's only going to potentially make the showing that much better than 24 hrs. Just my opinion.

Good Luck
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Jan 27, 2010
Who are you giving notice to--you may want to be a little more specific with your question.